Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to learn what the mutation is for each of my four budgies. I have read the sticky notes here at TB. I have read articles on the internet. I have read all the information I can find in my 10 or so books on budgies. But the more I read, the more confused I get.

So, I decided to start this thread and post pictures here to get your opinions. Since I am only allowed to post five images in a post, I will make a separate post for each of my four budgies. That way I can pick the best five images for each one and post them.

I also included my guesses for each although I am totally confused. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Funshine

Funshine is a light green color with mostly yellow wings. He has light colored markings on his wings. He has a yellow face.

I think he might be a Cinnamon Light Green.

Bird Eye Parrot Pet supply Natural material

Bird Eye Vertebrate Beak Parrot

Bird Eye Human body Parrot Beak

Bird Beak Parrot Natural material Feather

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Natural material

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shamrock

Shamrock is a green bird with black and yellow feathers. She has a yellow face.

I think she might be a Normal Light Green.

Bird Photograph Vertebrate Beak Parrot

Bird Green Beak Parrot Macaw

Bird Parrot Beak Feather Parakeet

Bird Green Light Beak Pet supply

Bird Green Parrot Pet supply Beak

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sapphire

Sapphire is what I would consider a medium blue color. Her wings are blue with black markings. She has a yellow face with white on the sides of her head.

I think she might be an Opaline Dark Blue.

Bird Green Beak Wood Parrot

Bird Vertebrate Parrot Pet supply Beak

Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Yellow

Bird Eye Beak Parrot Pet supply

Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Bird supply

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snowflake

Snowflake is a light blue color with mostly white wings. He has light colored markings on his wings. He has a white face.

I think he might be a Sky Blue Spangle.

Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Bird supply

Bird Green Beak Pet supply Parrot

Bird Vertebrate Green Parrot Beak

Bird Vertebrate Light Green Beak

Bird Beak Wood Parrot Bird supply

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Funshine is a greywing light green male (a cinnamon would have pink feet)
Shamrock is a normal dark green female
Shamrock is a type 1 yellow face opaline cobalt female
Snowflake is a greywing sky blue male (definitely not spangle)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funshine is a greywing light green male (a cinnamon would have pink feet)
Shamrock is a normal dark green female
Shamrock is a type 1 yellow face opaline cobalt female
Snowflake is a greywing sky blue male (definitely not spangle)
Thank you for the information Nev. Since reading my first article on mutations, I have been curious about it. However, it seems like the more I read on the subject, the more lost I get, LOL. Anyway, I have been struggling with it for a while and I appreciate your help sorting things out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So glad Nev helped you sort this out! They are all breathtaking... (shhhh, don't let the others hear it but tell Funshine he is my hearts desire) :giggle: I'm addicted to green and that greywing gene did him such justice!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joseph.

Yea, Funshine is my favorite too. My first three (Sapphire, Shamrock, and Snowflake) came from two pet store chains. But Funshine came from a local bird store. He was 5 weeks old and still being hand fed when I brought him home. So, he was by far the tamest of them all.

When he joined the others after his quarantine was over, he became less tame as he prefers to hang out with his budgie friends more than he does me. But at the same time all three of the others have become a little less afraid of me since Funshine moved in with them.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
You have a beautiful flock!

The "budgie" wearing the glasses is a violet. :D

Nev is great at mutations; he's our Go-To mutations expert here. :)

This site is a great resource for colors and mutations: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html. Perhaps you could look up all the colors and mutations that Nev identified to understand them.

The shades of green and blue are identified by colors (light green/dark green/olive and sky blue/cobalt/mauve) and by their "dark factors." Once you know the number of dark factors (0-2) you can predict the chicks' dark factors.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have a beautiful flock!

The "budgie" wearing the glasses is a violet. :D

Nev is great at mutations; he's our Go-To mutations expert here. :)

This site is a great resource for colors and mutations: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html. Perhaps you could look up all the colors and mutations that Nev identified to understand them.

The shades of green and blue are identified by colors (light green/dark green/olive and sky blue/cobalt/mauve) and by their "dark factors." Once you know the number of dark factors (0-2) you can predict the chicks' dark factors.
Thanks Susan. I will have to look at that site again now that I know what they are. That would be some interesting reading. I am not planning to do any breeding any time soon but this is an interesting subject to me because of another of my hobbies.

I have been doing genealogy (family history) for years and in the last 3 years doing genetic history through an organization called Family Tree DNA. So, when I saw the subject of genetics in budgies, it just naturally caught my attention. I want to learn more about it.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
The problem is that there's just too much info to take in. Take one mutation at a time, study it till you understand it before going on. It really get difficult when there's a combination of different mutations. *************** is a very good place to start. Good luck. (Hope I'm going to listen to my own advice someday)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.