Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! Its been a while since I've posted. I've finally purchased a pair of budgies to fill my empty cage. The older one is almost pure white, with two small aqua coloured spots on his stomach and a small amount of darkish colouring on his right wing. The younger one is quite unusual for around here. He/she appears to be three colours - yellow, blue and white. On his face, where the spots would be, one side has a blue marking and the other side of his face has a white marking where the blue should be.
If anyone could hazard a guess as to their mutation and sex it would be greatly appreciated. The coloured bird is still quite young and has baby bars on his forehead. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Attachments

·
Budgie Addict :)
6,526 Posts
I'm helpless when it comes to mutations. But they are gorgeous. Could you get a closer up picture of their ceres?

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I am not going to even hazzard a guess. All I know is the younger one is probably a yellowface which makes the blue look green blue. SO I am no help at all. I just had to tell you that they are two of the most beautiful budgies I have ever seen :)

P.S. They appear to be girls but we would need a closer look.

·
Eternal Love
11,537 Posts
I have a funny feeling i know what they are but just to be sure can we get a picture of them facing us and their backs. Sorry if its alot of trouble :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. We were only planning on one budgie to replace Nonny who is living with KogoShuko, but we couldn't resist either one.
The photo is the best I've been able to get of them, and not because they are skittish. They are extremely tame and friendly with us. I just don't know how to use my camera properly.
When my daughter comes home for the weekend I will ask her to try her luck with photos. She's much better than me!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The white one is almost pure white. I don't think the markings will even show on a photo they're so small. The two aqua spots are the size of a pea, on the bottom part of the bird's front and the dark markings are on the tip of the right shoulder of the wing. Its kind of grey in colour, just enough to say that the bird isn't white. The younger one looks like he's wearing a vest - with the blue on the upper half of his body and white on the bottom half. We thought at first the white one was an albino, but then saw his eyes were black, not red. Best I can describe.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I got the yellow face and blue part right!!! Yay me. Okay enough of my post hijacking...back to those beauties :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
One is a type 2 yellow face opaline dominant pied sky blue female. I can't tell what the white bird is for sure and would like to see a picture showing the colored areas and the cere. Are it's eyes red or black?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the white one

Here are two more photos of the white one. Best I can do. Thank you to everyone for their advice so far! Next will be names. Bébé is already decided for the white one. Not sure on the little one yet.

Attachments

·
3,676 Posts
Still not sure about the white bird's mutation. My first choice would be a recessive pied single factor spangle, but it could possibly be a double factor spangle or a dark eyed clear. The sex is uncertain too: If it's cere is pink and it is adult then it is male and not a double factor spangle. If it is young or that is brown showing on it's cere it could be female. I'd be interested to see what Rachelle thinks

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Still not sure about the white bird's mutation. My first choice would be a recessive pied single factor spangle, but it could possibly be a double factor spangle or a dark eyed clear. The sex is uncertain too: If it's cere is pink and it is adult then it is male and not a double factor spangle. If it is young or that is brown showing on it's cere it could be female. I'd be interested to see what Rachelle thinks
it also looks greywing to me. the spot is grey not black :)

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
My first impression was Dark Eyed Clear, but the spots of color are really throwing me off which is why I said recessive pied. I think I will stick with recessive pied for now. I will be very interested to see if when it molts if it loses or gains any more color.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like my Hedwig, who, I've just learned (thanks rachelle83) is a recessive pied.

·
3,676 Posts
It has a lot less markings than most recessive pieds which is why I thought it might have spangle as well. Most mutations wouldn't reduce the wing markings they'd just make them lighter

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
It has a lot less markings than most recessive pieds which is why I thought it might have spangle as well. Most mutations wouldn't reduce the wing markings they'd just make them lighter
OK, I see. Very interesting! I knew it had very little markings to be recessive pied, but I still haven't quite grasped what some mutations do to each other when combined.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I absolutely adore their coloring! Specially that little colored one. :) I know nothing about mutations, but I just had to say how cute they both are.

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
I absolutely adore their coloring! Specially that little colored one. :) I know nothing about mutations, but I just had to say how cute they both are.
I agree. I have a male that is almost exactly like the little one except mine is a greywing as well :D I think they're both gorgeous though :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.