Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I mostly have pics of everyone and they have settled in to their adult colors what are they genetically?

Ginrei-greywing or spangle?

Kiei who is pretty easy to figure out

unnamed male-bluish body with green tail feathers?, and female who are from the same hatch:

Older pic since I realized I cut off the yellow faced female in one pic and only got her head in the other:

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
it is very hard to see due to the flash, but the first looks like a greywing.
skyblue opaline
skyblue normal
cobalt opaline yf

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
1st = sky blue greywing male

2nd = Sky blue opaline budgie

3rd = Sky blue normal however it does have a hint of green but that might be the flash

4th = yellow face type one cobalt opaline

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The young male has a forest green tail on a teal body. Ginrei is hard to take pics of because he's so light he washes out at even a distant flash and without flash they turn in to blurs of movement because my good camera broke and I'm using an old one that still runs on AA batteries.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The first male looks like a greywing sky blue. His dark markings appear quite thin but I don't think he's spangle

Second in an opaline sky blue (looks female)

Third is a normal sky blue male. (My wife also describes this shade as teal, but it is officially sky blue)

Fourth is a yellow face opaline cobalt female. At this stage she looks like she may be type 1 yellow face but as she is still quite young the yellow may spread later

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not all sky blues look teal though. Ginrei is what I would call sky blue. Kiei is a bit darker but clearly blue. Only the one male looks green tinted with a green tail. Do we have a reason for the variation in color for each group? It seems every blue based budgie I see is a different shade.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The greywing mutation dilutes the body color. Opaline can brighten the body color. Yellow-face type one "bleeds" into the blue as the bird matures, turning it a turquoise color. Then you have the dark factors: 0 is skyblue, 1 is cobalt, 2 is mauve. Yep, lots of shades of blue!

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Yellow-face type one "bleeds" into the blue as the bird matures, turning it a turquoise color.
YF type 2 bleeds into the color, not type one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The yellowface hen is starting to look very purple. I wouldn't have noticed it without comparing photos but not all of her has as dark of purple tint yet. If you look at the 2nd pic of that pair the dark color on the side of her neck is what has spread. Could she be violet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.