Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another lerning experience to test your observation and knowledge.

Nest of five chicks rangeing from 11 days to 3 days old. Parents are a Clearwing Violet(sf) Cobalt **** and a Dk Green/Clearwing, Blue Type II.

At this point the mutations of the oldest two can be seen. So lets see who can figure out what they are and why.

Reactions: Budgiebud

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
Ok lets see...
Chick one: Adorable!
Chick two: Adorable!
Chick three four and five: Adorable!
:p
Ok I don't know the mutations but as you now know they are ADORABLE!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Nest of five chicks rangeing from 11 days to 3 days old. Parents are a Clearwing Violet(sf) Cobalt **** and a Dk Green/Clearwing, Blue Type II.

At this point the mutations of the oldest two can be seen. So lets see who can figure out what they are and why.

You reminded me of one of my teachers in the college who always went beyond duty lines and gave us assignments which really helped us comprehend the subject.

At this stage, no, I don't have any idea. :eek:

But I am absolutely sure that these are either Clearwings or Dilutes or Goldenfaces.

(I know you are working on Clearwings, Dilutes and Goldenfaces mutations these days) :giggle:

·
Registered
281 Posts

Hi RIPBudgies,

I thought for the fun..I'll try my luck on these forecast of chicks...

Chicks 1, 3 & 4 - Opaline Cobalt Clearwing (could be Hens; Opaline coming from "Clearwing dad");
Chick 2 - Light-Green Clearwing
Chick 5 - too young...lets say Dark green just cause his brother (chick 2) is Green series?

YF- the faces I can't tell yet...but Chick 1 doesn't appear to be YF in the photo supplied...?
U did say "Clearwings"...

Do let us know the result...are this an old hatch...with U already knowing the answer?....

else..it could be good if you "disclose" ...this "puzzle-question" piece by piece...by offering later (but not weaned) older baby pictures

At least we've got a better chance of being correct then?
Enjoy!
Jacodk

·
Registered
281 Posts
apologies (to those that have seen this) ..for double-post...bad server connection..

Ah, I see now the Hen is a "Dark Green"...BUT well also "Blue Type II"...

Am I correct then in understanding that this is a "Double-factored" White (Blue)-series bird with YF Mutant II..?..therefore the "Green" description (arising from the YF gene influence on Blue-base body colour), but she's actually a White (Blue)-series...not Green/Blue?!

If so then I guess that the chicks with the Opaline gene 1, 3 and 4 will also be YF...at least there will be a high percentage (~50%) having a single or double dark factor in Blue (with Violet in some), but the "Cobalt" from dad will give some the DF colour in chicks...blue chicks then ONLY coming from the fact that Hen is split blue ("/Blue")...

If not, then chick 2 will indeed be a "Yellow-series" Green bird....and all of rest will be "Yellow" (Green)-series Clearwings as well (recessive clearwings only possible, cause both dad & mom has the clearwing gene) ....[whilst chicks will show Blue visually only if mom is "/Blue" or "normal Blue", the latter doesn't appear applicable]...

C U!
Jacodk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi RIPBudgies,

I've wondered (given this old "unanswered" post/thread)...what was the answers to your baby question?

Did anyone got it correct?

Thx...jdk

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts

Oooooo, a brainteaser! I'll say Chick #1 is blue due to gray down and Chick #2 is green due to white down. :p

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
OK guys, let me solve the mystery for you! ;) :)

Chick 1 = Blue Normal
Chick 2 = Green Clearwing or Dilute
Chick 3 = Normal
Chick 4 = Normal
Chick 5 = No body can tell.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Oooooo, a brainteaser! I'll say Chick #1 is blue due to gray down and Chick #2 is green due to white down. :p
OK guys, let me solve the mystery for you! ;) :)

Chick 1 = Blue Normal
Chick 2 = Green Clearwing or Dilute
Chick 3 = Normal
Chick 4 = Normal
Chick 5 = No body can tell.

Do I win Chicks 1 and 2 because I correctly guessed their body colors? ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry I have not got back to this but I have suddenly gone from being largely unemployed to having to leave home at 5.45am and getting home at 6.30pm. As soon as I get home I am straight out to the birds and soon after in bed. Comp is playing up heaps too.

Anyhow the chicks have feldged now so I will just tell you what they are.

Chick 1 - Cobalt
Chick 2 - Clearwing Dark Green
Chick 3 - Dark Green
Chick 4 - Dark Green
Chick 5 - died before feathering up fully but it was going to be a normal.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Sorry I have not got back to this but I have suddenly gone from being largely unemployed to having to leave home at 5.45am and getting home at 6.30pm. As soon as I get home I am straight out to the birds and soon after in bed. Comp is playing up heaps too.

Anyhow the chicks have feldged now so I will just tell you what they are.

Chick 1 - Cobalt
Chick 2 - Clearwing Dark Green
Chick 3 - Dark Green
Chick 4 - Dark Green
Chick 5 - died before feathering up fully but it was going to be a normal.
Sorry about the fifth chick.

Best of luck with work and budgies. :)

·
MOTM December 2011
3,090 Posts
You guys are geniuses! All I know is that they are all little pinkies :baby2::baby::baby2::baby: and will be so cute when they grow up!! So sorry to hear about the last baby :rip:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.