Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my ideas but I just want to be certain. Here are the first two!

And here are the other pair. The hens wing markings etc are a grey/brown colour, alot lighters than the cocks.

Thanks!!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I will venture some guesses until the experts come along ...

First pair:
Hen -- Either yellow face sky blue single factor dominant pied or yellow face sky blue double factor dominant pied. She might also contain recessive pied -- i.e., she's combined dominant-recessive pied -- because I don't see any iris rings. In the tiny picture next to your name, her rump appears to be sky blue.
**** bird -- Either single factor dominant pied cobalt or clearflight pied cobalt.
All the chicks will be sky blue or cobalt.

Second pair:
Hen -- Cinnamon normal light green or dark green. Body color is hard to tell due to camera flash.
**** bird -- Normal light green.
All the chicks will be green series unless both parents are split to blue.

Will you please post some more pictures of all 4 birds in natural light? Full body shots, please. :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This photo pretty much sums up their colours, I hope its a better picture of the two for you :).

This is the other hen, her colour is a light green/turquoise colour, I hope this helps too! :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which blue hen lol? I don't have a blue hen haha! But neither of the hens have iris rings, only the two cocks :).

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Which blue hen lol? I don't have a blue hen haha! But neither of the hens have iris rings, only the two cocks :).
The first hen with the sky blue rump.

If the first hen is an adult but lacks iris rings, then she's probably a combined dominant-recessive pied.

The second hen will develop iris rings. (In the meantime, she's too young to breed.) She might be yellow face 2 sky blue cinnamon normal rather than cinnamon normal green. Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing yellow face 2's from green series. :p

Nev will know. :D

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
I will openly admit I know very little, but it does look
like you have a blue hen. The one with minimal markings
I would guess at being a yellowface II recessive pied sky
blue hen. If those who really understand all this tell
me I'm way off base, please feel free to laugh at me :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The hen you say is too young to breed is over a year and has had a clutch before. She's more of a confusingly green colour than blue haha, she confuses me too! Thanks for your help!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The first hen is a yellow face dominant pied. The dominant pied is either double factor or it is combined with recessive pied

The first **** looks like a clearflight pied sky blue but sometimes a dominant pied can look very similar

The second hen is a type 2 yellow face cinnamon sky blue that has turned greenish

The second **** is a normal light green

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree with Nev. I like trying to see if I can figure out pairs chick outcomes. So here it goes.

Pair #1
cobalt, dominant pied male x sky blue, yellow face, dominant pied, recessive pied female
They will have...
100% blues cobalts and sky blues
50% normals 50% dominant pied
50% yellow face 50% white face
no recessive pieds unless your male is split for it.

Pair #2
dark green, normal male x sky blue, yellow face, cinnamon female
They will get...
100% green dark green and light green no blues unless the male is split for blue.
100% normals
If you have any blue 50% will be yellow face 50% white face.
All the male chicks will be split for cinnamon but no chicks will show it.

You may also get surprise mutations depending on what the parents are split for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.