Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2013
2,266 Posts
Only one dessert in this house for the big day.......Christmas pudding that I made back in November :D

• Haha
Reactions: JuneBird

·
Registered
306 Posts
We always have pavlova with cream, strawberries and grated chocolate flakes to garnish. BUT every year mum also makes a Dragon's Breath pudding. It is a tradition in our house.We also beg her to make one for New Years day as well, and sometimes she does.The recipe is a traditional Swedish xmas recipe, and it is yummy.

• Love

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts

Oh my goodness, Baklava!! I love it, is it hard to make?
No, it's not so hard to make Dee! you have to buy 1kg fyllo and walnuts or almonds or pistachios! I prefer making it with walnuts! If you want, I'll translate a recipe and post it for you :)
I'll edit my previous post and add some photos so you can see how our desserts are like :)

·
Member of the Month March 2013
2,266 Posts
We always have pavlova with cream, strawberries and grated chocolate flakes to garnish. BUT every year mum also makes a Dragon's Breath pudding. It is a tradition in our house.We also beg her to make one for New Years day as well, and sometimes she does.The recipe is a traditional Swedish xmas recipe, and it is yummy.
Dragon's Breath pudding? Intriguing...off to find out what that is! :D

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, it's not so hard to make Dee! you have to buy 1kg fyllo and walnuts or almonds or pistachios! I prefer making it with walnuts! If you want, I'll translate a recipe and post it for you :)
I'll edit my previous post and add some photos so you can see how our desserts are like :)
I would love to have the recipe for baklava if you have some time, thanks! They look AWESOME!

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts
Dee, now I found some time to post the Baklava recipe. I don't know if you already know it, Baklava's origins are from Turkey but here in Greece we have Baklava as a traditional dessert and it has changed though the years. Lots of sugar and walnuts and a lot of preparation are needed. But Baklava is delicious!

We'll need:
1kg fyllo
1kg melted unsalted butter
600 gr walnuts

for the syrup:
1kg sugar
800 gr water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp honey
some orange zest
a tsp lemon juice

We put in a big bowl the walnuts and we crush them a bit. They must be little pieces. Then, we take a big baking pan, and we brush it with melted butter. We take the fyllo and we put them near our pan. We take a leaf of our fyllo, place it on the buttered baking pan, so there are no gaps. If there are, so the next buttered leaf must be placed so the gaps are covered. We brush the leaf, we place another and we brush it with melted butter. We continue this procedure for the first 10 fyllo leaves. Preheat the oven to 150 C.
Then, we put inside the filling in a way that all surface is covered and has the same amount everywhere.
Then we continue the procedure with the fyllo leaves, until we have no more fyllo leaves. We cut our dessert into square pieces. We bake our dessert to 150 C, for one hour more or less. The dessert will have a golden- brown colour.
While it is baked, we prepare our syrup. We put all ingredients in a pan and we boil it for 5 minutes. Then we take out the orange zest and the cinnamon sticks.
When baklava is ready, we take a tablespoon and we pour the syrup inside the dessert.Each time in a different side of the dessert. We continue that procedure until the syrup is over and the whole baklava is hydrated with the syrup.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
OMG I'm so making Baklava for Christmas.. I'm obsessed with it but it's so hard to find places that make it just right! Buttery, syrupy and nutty without being too crusty and dry. Thanks for that recipe!!!

Trifle is usually our traditional dessert. Not very original but still good! My mom makes a Christmas cake that's nuts, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, a little flour, dried dates, pineapple and cherries so I'm hoping she'll make some of those too :) Last year my sister and I attempted to make them and it just didn't turn out right because it's not something my mom ever wrote down and we had to guess on how much of each ingredient. This time I'm going to watch her like a hawk! It's the first time she's hosting a Christmas since I was a teenager (I'm 32) so I'm super excited to relive my childhood holidays :)

·
Member of the Month October 2008
6,807 Posts
I am being lazy this year and just having Pavolva. Really lazy seeing I bought the pavolva base from Woolworths. Just have to whip the cream for the top. Pavolva must have fresh passionfruit over the top then I also put on strawberries and sliced banana. When you slice the banana put a little lemon juice on it so it does not go brown.

When I am feeling energetic I will make a Pineapple Boiled Fruit Cake. It is so moist. Unfortunately it does not keep like a traditional Fruit Cake but you can freeze some of it for later. Because it is so moist it can be used as a Christmas Pudding. Just heat a slice in the microwave for 30 seconds and serve with hot custard. Don't like that stuff that comes in cartons and I am too lazy to make a proper egg custard, so I use custard powder.

When I have it as cake I will often have it with a slice of tasty cheese. Sounds weird but tastes great. It is not that strange when you consider you have fruit with a cheese platter. People from North Yorkshire or the bottom part of Scotland may eat it this way. I think they have it this way around the Yorkshire Dales.

Here is the recipe, I do add some extras to it. Chopped Glace Ginger, Chopped Walnuts and extra whole Glace Cherries. I just love cherries in fruit cake and there is never enough in mixed fruit.

http://www.5ways.com.au/downloads/GCircle Boiled Pineapple Fruit Cake.pdf

·
2014 MEMBER OF THE YEAR
4,205 Posts
OMG I'm so making Baklava for Christmas.. I'm obsessed with it but it's so hard to find places that make it just right! Buttery, syrupy and nutty without being too crusty and dry. Thanks for that recipe!!!

Trifle is usually our traditional dessert. Not very original but still good! My mom makes a Christmas cake that's nuts, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, a little flour, dried dates, pineapple and cherries so I'm hoping she'll make some of those too :) Last year my sister and I attempted to make them and it just didn't turn out right because it's not something my mom ever wrote down and we had to guess on how much of each ingredient. This time I'm going to watch her like a hawk! It's the first time she's hosting a Christmas since I was a teenager (I'm 32) so I'm super excited to relive my childhood holidays :)
Thanks Allie! :) I hope you all love it! If you have any questions, pm me! :)
the cake you described, is it a fruit cake? I love these!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Thanks Allie! :) I hope you all love it! If you have any questions, pm me! :)
the cake you described, is it a fruit cake? I love these!
It is a fruit cake but not like the traditional kind. It comes out tasting like a fruit and nut bar and is almost flourless, the sweetened condensed milk binds it together and after baking in a loaf pan it's cut with a sharp knife into slices!

·
Registered
10,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dee, now I found some time to post the Baklava recipe. I don't know if you already know it, Baklava's origins are from Turkey but here in Greece we have Baklava as a traditional dessert and it has changed though the years. Lots of sugar and walnuts and a lot of preparation are needed. But Baklava is delicious!

We'll need:
1kg fyllo
1kg melted unsalted butter
600 gr walnuts

for the syrup:
1kg sugar
800 gr water
2 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp honey
some orange zest
a tsp lemon juice

We put in a big bowl the walnuts and we crush them a bit. They must be little pieces. Then, we take a big baking pan, and we brush it with melted butter. We take the fyllo and we put them near our pan. We take a leaf of our fyllo, place it on the buttered baking pan, so there are no gaps. If there are, so the next buttered leaf must be placed so the gaps are covered. We brush the leaf, we place another and we brush it with melted butter. We continue this procedure for the first 10 fyllo leaves. Preheat the oven to 150 C.
Then, we put inside the filling in a way that all surface is covered and has the same amount everywhere.
Then we continue the procedure with the fyllo leaves, until we have no more fyllo leaves. We cut our dessert into square pieces. We bake our dessert to 150 C, for one hour more or less. The dessert will have a golden- brown colour.
While it is baked, we prepare our syrup. We put all ingredients in a pan and we boil it for 5 minutes. Then we take out the orange zest and the cinnamon sticks.
When baklava is ready, we take a tablespoon and we pour the syrup inside the dessert.Each time in a different side of the dessert. We continue that procedure until the syrup is over and the whole baklava is hydrated with the syrup.
Enjoy!
Oh my goodness!! That sounds delicious :jumping:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.