Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the colours of these three budgies. I know the mother is a sky blue opaline. We thought dad was cobolt opaline spangle but what does that make the baby?

MUM - LUNA

DAD - HAMISH

MUM and DAD

BABY - NEPTUNE

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
mum looks skyblue, dad looks a bit violet to me, and the baby def looks like a violet. if it is a visual violet then it is cobalt with the violet gene, which means dad must also be cobalt.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The mum is opaline sky blue
The dad is opaline spangle cobalt
Their son is opaline cobalt

I agree with Toni that the cobalts could have violet added

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Now wait you 2. Before you go calling #1 son a cobalt ask the breeder what #1 son's tail feathers look like? You can NOT see them in the photo. IF the top of the tail feathers have a violet sheen this bird is a sky violet NOT a cobalt. VERY easy to mix up UNLESS you know what to look for.

AND for future breeding you can NOT get violet chicks from cobalts.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
AND for future breeding you can NOT get violet chicks from cobalts.
not sure what you mean by this? a violet comes in all shades so you can def get a cobalt violet.

saying you can't get violets from cobalts is like saying you can't get spangles from cobalts, the body colour does not effect the other genes present....

unless of course you were trying to say you can't get violets from cobalts that do not have the violet gene?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Violet is a modifier. You can have violet anything.

A pure cobalt is a dark color, true, BUT there will be NO iridescent sheen on the top of the tail feathers.

Sky violets look cobalt BUT will if you will look close you will see an iridescent sheen to the top of the feathers. Easier to see under national light. Anyway if your showing the bird will do better shown in the cobalt class than the violet class because of the color standards.

NO you can not get violet from a pure cobalt bird. If your chicks are violet then one the birds is a violet something be it sky, grey, cobalt, light green etc.

Hey I missed this for years. It wasn't until I went to Mike Rankin THE VIOLET MAN did I learn how to tell the colors apart.

Mike wrote some WONDERFUL articles on the violet mutation. They use to be posted on the BAA web site. If your interested you might go over there and bug the web masters to PLEASE put the articles BACK on the site. http://www.budgerigarassociation.com
If that does not work ask Mike to send you copies, his contact is listed there.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
cool, just confirming that you can indeed get violets form cobalts so long as one of the parents also has teh violet gene. i thought the way it was written may cause confusion...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got some pictures of dad and son's tail feathers if that helps.

Dad

Dad and Son

Son

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why do they have a paler stripe on their rump. The sons tail is almost identical to mums (opaline sky blue). The son has also got the longest wings of any other bird I have.

·
Registered
377 Posts
:O the first picture looks just like my budgie coco exactly the same colour and its sky blue^_^ then i don't know :eek:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.