Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some chopped spinach in the fridge. It's totally fresh. I have put it in normal water. Can I give it to them.

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
What do you mean you have put it in normal water, do you mean you have rinsed it or that it is mixed in with the water?

·
Super Moderator
3,508 Posts
Spinach is ok to feed but not too much because of the high oxalic acid it contains, the oxalic acid will bind to calcium making the calcium nutritionally unavailable to be absorbed.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals.
You are best to serve foods in moderation.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

I would recommend you cut back on feeding spinach to once or twice a week.

Spinach and Parsley contain oxalic acid which binds to calcium, blocks the absorption of calcium and puts stress on the kidneys.
Too much oxalic acid can also cause poor blood clotting and convulsions in birds.
Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:
kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive
romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

Most basic questions you may have are answered in the stickies and budgie articles. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My budgie is suffering from diarrhea. I am giving him antibiotics. What Fruits or vegetables can I feed him that help him recover.

·
Administrator
55,917 Posts
As Cody asked -- did you get the antibiotics from an Avian Veterinarian or an Exotic Pet Veterinarian who has experience dealing with small birds?
What is the specific antibiotic and why was it prescribed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My budgie ate coriander once. They totally loved it. It made a great food and toy lol. How often can it be given ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts