Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of budgies, they are feeding offspring, and I have always had doubts about the genes of them, including blue, cobalt blue, violet, etc. I am confused about all kinds of blue and violet.

First , I know that it may carry the yellow face gene, but what type of yellow face is it? Is it single factor or double factor? In addition, it may be a rainbow with a dominant pie gene, but does it really carry the recessive gene as bird friends said?

This is my female bird,which is brooding eggs

This is my male bird

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
The budgies are beautiful! 💙💙

Our mutations expert should be able to tell you the mutations of the adults when she is back on-line.

I am concerned, however, about the color of what looks like feces in the bottom of the cage... Is that bloody feces?
Also, the cage looks as though there may be corrosion on the bars - if so, the cage should be replaced to prevent heavy metal poisoning.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Both budgies appear to be almost the exact same mutation. They're not siblings, are they? The female is cobalt double factor violet goldenface dominant pied full body greywing opaline and the male is a cobalt double factor violet goldenface combination pied full body greywing opaline budgie :D Both budgies are technically "rainbow" with the exception of the pied genes, which the true rainbow budgies do not have. Because the male is a combination pied, it's true he has one dominant pied gene and one recessive pied gene.

I also was concerned seeing the state of the droppings and the bottom of the cage! Let us know how they're doing soon!

In the meantime, FaeryBee has given you great advice and above, which include the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies", so be sure to read through everything to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices.

I'm looking forward to updates!

Cheers 👋

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The budgies are beautiful! 💙💙

Our mutations expert should be able to tell you the mutations of the adults when she is back on-line.

I am concerned, however, about the color of what looks like feces in the bottom of the cage... Is that bloody feces?
Also, the cage looks as though there may be corrosion on the bars - if so, the cage should be replaced to prevent heavy metal poisoning.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
thanks for your reminder. In fact, I also found some abnormalities in their faeces before, a little damp, an unpleasant smell, and the shape of small bugs. They looked red, but then someone told me that the redness of the faeces might be due to Eat red clay balls (a thing used to supplement trace elements). For other issues, I tried to get more suggestions from some tiger skin bird lovers, but I didn't get any substantive and useful information. I even started to give some intestinal medications. Because they just caught up with the hatch, I dare not give them medicine easily. Fortunately, they are currently in a good state of mind, their bodies are normal, and they have successfully hatched 5 chicks. I don't know if it is convenient for you to help me see the feces they pulled out, what kind of problem it may be, I will refer to the information and guidance provided by you to learn. In addition, I will replace a cage without rust.

I have two photos of their feces (I'm not sure if it will cause your discomfort), and it seems that the feces have improved now because I took out the clay balls they ate.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Both budgies appear to be almost the exact same mutation. They're not siblings, are they? The female is cobalt double factor violet goldenface dominant pied full body greywing opaline and the male is a cobalt double factor violet goldenface combination pied full body greywing opaline budgie :D Both budgies are technically "rainbow" with the exception of the pied genes, which the true rainbow budgies do not have. Because the male is a combination pied, it's true he has one dominant pied gene and one recessive pied gene.

I also was concerned seeing the state of the droppings and the bottom of the cage! Let us know how they're doing soon!

In the meantime, FaeryBee has given you great advice and above, which include the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies", so be sure to read through everything to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices.

I'm looking forward to updates!

Cheers 👋

Thank you very much for your reply about genes, very professional and careful. I think I mostly understand what you mean, they are enhanced versions of rainbow, rainbow plus😁? rainbow+pie? And ,the male carry recessive pied gene seem to be clear , the same with the the female ? I'm not sure.

To be honest, I am not sure if they are siblings, because this pair of birds was given to me by a friend of mine, and it was purchased from another aviary.So theinformation cannot be traced accurately.

Regarding their health issues, I replied to the above and posted pictures. Could you please help me take a look.

·
Administrator
56,568 Posts
The droppings do not look normal although they look better than they did when they were red.
Evaluation of Bird Droppings, An Indicator of Heath
Are my bird's droppings normal

What are you feeding the budgies?
A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

How long have you had budgies and is this your first time breeding them?
You are aware that siblings should never be bred, correct?
Doing so compromises the genetics of the offspring and is not something that should ever take place.

How old are the two budgies that have the current clutch?
What are you planning to do with any offspring?
Do you have an Avian Vet?
Do you know how to properly hand feed a chick should something unforeseen happen?

The nest box should have a concave bottom to help prevent splayed legs.
Splayed Legs in Budgie Chicks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The droppings do not look normal although they look better than they did when they were red.
Evaluation of Bird Droppings, An Indicator of Heath
Are my bird's droppings normal

What are you feeding the budgies?
A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies

How long have you had budgies and is this your first time breeding them?
You are aware that siblings should never be bred, correct?
Doing so compromises the genetics of the offspring and is not something that should ever take place.

How old are the two budgies that have the current clutch?
What are you planning to do with any offspring?
Do you have an Avian Vet?
Do you know how to properly hand feed a chick should something unforeseen happen?

The nest box should have a concave bottom to help prevent splayed legs.
Splayed Legs in Budgie Chicks

This is my first time breeding budgies, but I have previous experience with other species of parrots

Their former owner told me that they were indeed a pair of breeding birds, who had hatched their offspring before. I will settle their chicks. They are probably over one year old ,and I have experience hand feeding parrots before,So please don’t worry about me too much

Thank you very much for your guidance.

·
Super Moderator
18,458 Posts
As far as I can see only the male is combination pied :) The female just looks like a single factor dominant pied, judging by her markings!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.