Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is REALLY interesting and I look forward to reading the other posts that have been made. I am anxious to learn more about budgie color and genetics. I'm aiming to start breeding budgies in about 6 to 8 months. I have a LOT of preparation and studying to do but I began to pick out some nice young birds to hopefully get pretty babies from. Last weekend I picked up a new male (about 6-8 months old) and his color is sooooo pretty. I fell in love with him and he is so sweet. His name is Tucker. I've been trying to figure what color mutation he is. Can anyone help me with that? I have no idea what his parents looked like.

The stripes on his back is darker green with no grey or black coloration on them. The stripes on his wing and head is more greyish green. He also has a patch of solid yellow on the back of his head, a light grey tail and flight feathers (before they were clipped).

Also, out of curiostity, to get really pretty babies that look like him, what color female should I be looking for? Should she be silimar to Tucker?

I would very much apprecite any thoughts on him. :)

---- Kimberley Smith

Attachments

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Looks to me like a yellowface type 2 skyblue greywing, maybe dominant pied as well because of the spot on his head..

To get chicks like him you need to pair him to a skyblue or cobalt or a green hen split for blue and either greywing or split for it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Corina,

Thanks!! I was looking on this website > http://www.***************/colors.html

Could Tucker also be Opaline or Spangle or both? The descriptions seems to fit him for both but still not sure. :)

Also... I'm learning terms.. what does types 2 mean, and is there a good website that explanains types, and what ressissive means and such? Oh yeah... a lot to learn but I'm having fun so far.

---- Kimberley

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
I would also say Yellowface type 2 Greywing Skyblue, could be clearflight pied or split to pied.

I have a **** bird similiar to yours he's a Goldenface Opaline Greywing Violet and I have paired him to a Cinnamon Opaline Light Green Hen split for blue and a Violet Hen and got chicks like him both times.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Could Tucker also be Opaline or Spangle or both? The descriptions seems to fit him for both but still not sure. :)

Also... I'm learning terms.. what does types 2 mean, and is there a good website that explanains types, and what ressissive means and such? Oh yeah... a lot to learn but I'm having fun so far.
He is not Opaline or Spangle.

type 2 is where as they moult the yellow from their face appears to 'bleed' down the body into the other feathers turning them a green colour. type 1 is where the yellow tends to stay on and around the face.

This site might help you:
http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/coloursmutations.htm

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I guess he could be goldenface.. my goldenfaces are more patchy looking though. I have a goldenface cobalt greywing that I paired up with a goldenface cobalt opaline split for greywing and I got three greywing chicks, one being a skyblue goldenface greywing that looks a lot like Tucker. I've also gotten greywings from that same hen paired to a normal skyblue split to greywing.

To get greywings both parents must be carrying the gene.

Also I think his spot is way too big for him to be split to recessive pied, more likely a dom. pied because she said his flights are grey not clear so not a clearflight.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Oh yeah... a lot to learn but I'm having fun so far.

Yes, it is fun and there is a lot to learn and just as you think you have something new come up and you're lost again - at least I am.
Enjoy your birds!! Good luck with your breeding plans.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think his face looks deep enough yellow to be a goldenface.

I also thought the pied spot on his head was bigger than you would expect from a normal/ rec. pied. BUT, I'm not seeing ANY other sign that he is pied. Neither his flights nor his tail are clear, and he doesn't appear to have any clear area on his front.

Spangles have a spot, but he doesn't really look spangle. But what I DO see is a hint of opaline. Sometimes they are poorly marked, so I think it's possible he could be opaline.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He could be golden face but I'd say he's Type 2 yellow face greywing sky blue. He is not opaline, spangle or any type of pied but he is probably split for recessive pied (the spot is an indication that he is split, not proof).

To get some chicks similar to him he could be mated to a blue series greywing or a bird that is split for greywing

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Tucker is a Yellow face type 2 Sky blue Grey Wing
Most likely clear flight pied but his flights are clipped so They can't be seen but he is not dominant pied his stomach is all one color from what i can tell

he is NOT spangle nor Opaline!

a grey wing clear flight pied won't have the actual clear wings/tail it'll have a grey tint to it and I've noticed with mine it depends a lot on their body color my Grey Violet Opaline Clear Flight Pied Opaline has half clear half Grey tinted flights (BOTH his parents are 100% Clear flight pied so I know what he is!) the darker body colors seem to have more of a grey tint to theirs when they're both grey wing and clear flight pied

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.