Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new budgie owner and I was wondering what color you would consider my new little bird to be? He has a lot of grey on him instead of black(none). The oddest part is his tail. Half of the feather is bright yellow and the other half is blue on all of the tail feathers.

I just recently got close enough to his band to see the numbers and it looks like this poor bird was at the store for over a year--it appears to say 7/09. He was very bitey when I took him out of the box and placed him into his cage the first day, so I'm sure he has ZERO interaction with people except for them sticking a net in the enclosure to fish one out every once in awhile. I was wondering if this would affect taming him or teaching him, since I know younger is better with these types of things. We are thinking of naming him Sierra---since his colors look like the Sierra Mist bottle. XD Thanks!

Attachments

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Yellow Face type 2 greywing, could be a cinnamon or olive green (I am new to mutations so I would not take this as the final thing)

My best guess is Yellow face type 2 cinnamon greywing

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree. He definitely looks like a cinnamon from the picture, so I would say cinnamon greywing. Although not yellow face, because aren't green budgie's heads always yellow?

And, for your taming question, I'm sure you can tame him. Just give him some time to get accustomed to the new surroundings, and try to stay in the room often. Older budgies, or ones that really never got interaction could always be tamed, just a little more tricky. One of my budgies who never got much interaction now loves to sit on my shoulder and explore the room at 6 years of age.

It will take some time obviously, but it will certainly be worth it. ^^

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
I agree. He definitely looks like a cinnamon from the picture, so I would say cinnamon greywing. Although not yellow face, because aren't green budgie's heads always yellow?

And, for your taming question, I'm sure you can tame him. Just give him some time to get accustomed to the new surroundings, and try to stay in the room often. Older budgies, or ones that really never got interaction could always be tamed, just a little more tricky. One of my budgies who never got much interaction now loves to sit on my shoulder and explore the room at 6 years of age.

It will take some time obviously, but it will certainly be worth it. ^^
I don't think it matters, yellow faces are called yellow face, however now I think about it your budgie could be a clearwing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like a grey wing to me. I have one that is a similar color.
I also got mine from a large chain pet store and he was a little older and took longer to tame and is still jumpy compared to my other bird. Just takes more time and patience.

G

·
I don't think Sierra is cinnamon. He is a full body colour greywing. Bright violet cheek patches. Faint grey markings on his wings. Bright body colour. All these characteristics combines a greywing gene with a clearwing gene.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i am going with light green opaline greywing.

the body colour looks diluted to me, definitely not a full strength green that i can see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.