Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had these two for a few months now but to be honest I have no idea what color mutation they are. I am pretty sure the green/yellow one is male and the white/blue one female and that they are both less than 6 months old. That's about all I know. If anyone can help me identify them I would really appreciate it!!! :)

Also, once they are sexually mature I am hoping they will mate. Any ideas on what kind of coloration their offspring will have?

Thanks so much everyone!!

-Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, it is hard to see but the green/yellow budgie has quite a bit of blue coloration on his belly and the white/blue budgie has a very light yellowish-white head and tail.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I can't help but they look really pretty!

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Blue female I think is a dominant pied, cobalt, violet, single factor yellow face, full body greywing. The male is probably dominant pied, blue factor, double factor yellow face. Look under his wings and if they are blue he is actually a blue bird. I'm still learning my self but that is my best guess. What I'm sure of though is they are under 3 months old, so no breeding for at least 7 months.

They are absolutely gorgeous!!:):):)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I cant really help you but I just wanted to comment on how BEAUTIFUL your birds are!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

I've had the Blue/white female (Niles) since March 2nd so I know she's older than 3 months. The people at the pet store told me she was almost 8 weeks old when I got her so that should make her about 5 months now. Of course it is very possible that the people at the store were wrong.

As for the green/blue budgie (Frasier) the underside of his wings are light yellow and his stomach area and sides blue/green. When you look up close it's like some of the feathers are green and some are blue. You are right about the age on this bird though. I've only had him for about a month and a half and I got him very young. I estimate he is right at 3 months.

So in a year or so when they are mature what would your best guess be for their offspring?

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Your birds are stunning!:D Also your female looks like a cobalt, yellowface (type II), greywing, dominant pied
and the male looks like a cobalt, yellowface (type II), clearflight pied
i am new to this so my answers wont be 100% correct:eek:
your female has a nice combination:)your male is beautiful,they will have some adorable babies!:D

·
Registered
428 Posts
They both are pied, but it's a little hard to tell what kind of pied gene they have. My guess is that the blue one is recessive pied and the green one is clearflight pied. If I'm right, 50-100% of the babies would be clearflight pied and all the babies would be carriers for recessive pied but would not be recessive pied themselves. Neither has the characteristic belly band of a dominant pied, but it's possible that the band is just really spotty.

They are both yellowface II. That would make 75-100% of the babies yellowface II too.

They both look cobalt to me, which means they have one dark factor each. That would make their babies 25% sky blue, 50% cobalt, and 25% mauve. The blue one might be a sky violet instead of a cobalt. In which case the babies would be 25% cobalt, 25% violet, 25% sky blue, and 25% sky violet.

The blue one looks like a clearwing. All the babies will have normal wing coloring but will be carriers for clearwing.

They are really pretty. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW thank you so much Earthnut! That was exactly what I wanted to know! I know it is way too soon for them to breed but I'm really excited for next year when they are old enough. One of the other babies from the green/blue male's clutch was a dark mauve/cobalt color. I unfortunately never got to see their parents though.

So when you say that the wings of all the babies will be normal but carriers for clearwing that means that you don't think any of the babies will look like the female white/cobalt budgie? They will all have the male's wing pattern?

Thanks so much! I'm going to keep posting pictures as they grow up! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are three more images that I took three days ago. They are outside in their travel cage so the lighting is natural and there's no flash. No filters or anything either. Sorry for the line shadows that the cage cast I wish I had some without those!

·
Registered
428 Posts
So when you say that the wings of all the babies will be normal but carriers for clearwing that means that you don't think any of the babies will look like the female white/cobalt budgie? They will all have the male's wing pattern?
Yup, unless the green bird is a carrier for clearwing or dilute, in which case half the babes will be clearwing.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I believe your hen is a YF cobalt greywing (possibly full body color - sometimes it's hard for me to tell in photos on my computer) dominant pied. And it seems like the male is a YF cobalt dominant pied. I say dominant pied over clearflight pied because often, clearflights will have a clear patch around the neck/shoulder area. I had a poorly marked dominant pied that looked just like a clearflight and if you didn't know his parentage, you would've called him a clearflight. If you breed them, you will get 25% normal, 25% DF dominant pied, and 50% SF dominant pied (like your birds) in all three shades of blue, with YF and maybe some without YF. It's also important to distinguish between clearwing and clearflight pied as they are 2 different mutations. Beautiful birds! Good luck with future breeding. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.