Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
that blue sheen is lovely! i suspect it will fade after they moult though...

what colour are the parents? i think nev is right and they are olive, split for blue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tonic, I wondered if they would lose the blue sheen too; it's really pretty. Even feathering out there was always that blue tint, especially with the youngest baby. It's my understanding that you can't visually tell if a green is split for blue?

Dad is a dark green (?):

Mom is a grey wing grey (?):

There were no greys or grey greens in the clutch. The blues are all cobalts I think (not 100% sure about Frosty). The first picture is Frosty; the second shows the other 6 babies. The color on Frosty's chest is left over from when I had to hand feed him after he was attacked; that's also why his head feathers look all ruffled (he still has stitches):

Nev, theoretically, would it have been possible to get mauves out of this pair (I am guessing yes)? Will the blue wash disappear after their first moult? Is the recessive pied green also olive? The youngest olive girl I am keeping; theoretically what colors could I get if she eventually paired off with an opaline sf grey?

Thank you both! I always wanted olives; they aren't too common around here.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Nev, theoretically, would it have been possible to get mauves out of this pair (I am guessing yes)?
A dark green has 1 dark factor so if your opaline greywing grey hen has 1 dark factor you would expect chicks with 0, 1 & 2 dark factors. If the hen has 2 dark factors you would only get chicks with 1 or 2 dark factors
Will the blue wash disappear after their first moult?
Yes the blue wash will disappear
Is the recessive pied green also olive?
The recessive pied looks either olive or grey green.
The youngest olive girl I am keeping; theoretically what colors could I get if she eventually paired off with an opaline sf grey?
She won't have inherited opaline from her mother so mated to an opaline grey you'd get:
Opaline grey, blue, grey green & green hens
Normal grey, blue, grey green & green cocks

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i do like that blue tint! i think many green/blue birds have blue down near the vent, it can disappear once they moult though so i always make a note of it.

can anyone else confirm this... or correct me?..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.