Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I've had budgies for 3 years, and I know a bit I guess (always new stuff to learn!), but I've only just got SUUPPPEEERRR interested now! I've had so many different people say what colour my budgies are I've gotten confused!! I have three bird at the moment, and I guess I'd class them as: "Barney" Male Regular Kingfisher Blue, "Ruby" (bear with me!) female, Pied Cobalt Violet Factor, and "Bubbles".. I've no idea what to call him!! But if you "Bird Experts" could give me the head as as to what they are that'd be awesome!! Also, if you guys could let me know what colours I'm likely to end up with from "Barney" and "Ruby" that'd be awesome too!!
Here're the photos... :)

"Barney" The cutie :)

"Ruby" Miss Serious :p

And "Bubbles" The Goof!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Photos should show now.. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Barney - Sky blue Opaline - - - Is the Cere blue or brown? in the pic it looks brown - which would be Female

Ruby - Cobalt

Bubbles - Green Dominant Pied

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Kelli ~ For Barney, there are an awful lot of markings between the wings and the barring on the head looks pretty normal. I see the blue going through the wings and the white stripe on the flights, but my opalines have an almost completely white head. For my learning, is this bird's markings less than optimal for an opaline (Please don't read that as anything bad. He's a beautiful bird!).

Also, can you post a pic of Bubbles from the back? Thanks!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Oh and if Barney is indeed a he, you'd get 50% cobalts, 50% sky blues and the hens would be opaline with all the males being split to opaline assuming no one is hiding any other genes in there.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Not all Opaline's have pure white heads :) and this one has the normal "Opaline" head/neck bars (Opaline's bars on the back of the head and neck look like wrinkled old skin)

Here are a couple of my Opaline's w/out full white heads

I do have some with pure white heads but not all of them do.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Barney -- I'll defer to ATVChick if she says he's opaline (not normal) sky blue.
Ruby -- normal sky blue or cobalt (hard to tell body color; study this site to nail down the shade of blue (dark factor) http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor)
Bubbles -- might be a double factor dominant pied green due to large clear (yellow) areas. Can you please post a picture of his back?

You have a lovely flock. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Uhm, Barney if deffinately a boy sorry!! :D
He easily suffers from Vitamin A defficiancy, so he's just getting over a bout of it, which he got while we were away and a friend looked after him. :/
Yes Barney and Ruby get on, they're such love birds, waiting for the eggs (; !! :p
Yeah sure I'll get one of "Bubbles" back in the morning, when the colours will show better :)
Thank you guys! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Barney - opaline sky blue

Ruby - normal cobalt

Bubbles - spangle dominant pied light green (need a back picture to confirm the spangle but the white showing in the cheek patches is a spangle trait)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Barney - opaline sky blue

Ruby - normal cobalt

Bubbles - spangle dominant pied light green (need a back picture to confirm the spangle but the white showing in the cheek patches is a spangle trait)
isn't the white in a cheek patch also a trait for being pied

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd say Ruby is violet factor, she has bright violet at the bottom of her bib, and it spreads all the way around her crown.
Here's three different shots of Bubbles' back:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Not dominant pied
Odd then because I have a couple of Dominant pieds that have white on their cheek patches and there is no spangle

his Son

then I have one who is just pure white - She is dominant and recessive pied - but the above 2 as far as I know recessive pied is not there Both of the above two males have iris rings - Also this female doesn't have spangle

I've always been under the impression for Any pied they can get the "pied cheek patches" which is the normal color plus white.

both males are Double Factor Dominant pied and the original Posters bird also looks Double Factor Dominant pied

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.