Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Two of our budgies have hatched an egg and it is just adorable. Just wanting a prediction of what colour we can expect it to be?

Here is the mother:

Here is the father:

Here they are together:

We do not have any idea what the dad's parents were, but here is a picture of the mother's parents:

So if somebody could please let us know what you think the baby might be, it would be appreciated! We are very very excited :) Here is a picture of the little baby :) :

·
Registered
850 Posts
Well i am no expert but its an eng/usa mix. So it will be a med size green with lots of pied marks.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'm not a mutations expert, but I'll give this a shot until Nev comes along.

The hen is opaline olive and the **** bird is recessive pied light green.

All the male chicks will be normal dark green split for opaline and all the female chicks will be normal dark green. See http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html for opaline genetics and http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html for dark factor genetics.

Your only chance for blue chicks is if both hen and **** bird are split for blue.

Your only chance for recessive pied chicks is if the hen is split for recessive pied. I don't know how opaline and recessive pied react with each other.

Congratulations for your little pink cutie! :congrats: :baby: Have you candled the other eggs?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think Susan is right woth her predictions, but the hen can be split for RP - although the chances are very slim. There's always a chance for surprises. Congrats on the first baby. Keep us updated, please.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I think Susan is right woth her predictions, but the hen can be split for RP - although the chances are very slim. There's always a chance for surprises. Congrats on the first baby. Keep us updated, please.
Originally, I said the hen can't be split for recessive pied -- which is why Dries made his corrective comment. But then I edited my post. :p

Dries, I added my opinion regarding blues. What do you think?

G

·
These pictures are beautiful. Hope I see correctly through the camera.

Hen = olive opaline normal
**** = dark green opaline dominant pied (iris ring)

Offsprings = 50% normals and 50% dominant pieds, all opalines with half olive green and half dark green

No assumption of hidden genes in the above calculation.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The **** bird looks like an opaline green series double factor dominant pied
The hen is an opaline green (she looks grey green but can't be from those parents)

So most likely the chick will be an opaline green single factor dominant pied.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
hope all goes well with the chickies! cant wait to see it feathered :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.