Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to get some good photos of my new hen Perdita. I have been told she is this colour and told she is that colour. I bought her from a privately owned local petstore. Someone had handraised her clutch and then after a few months dropped them off at the store. They were the only birds in the store and I have been drooling over her for months. Sadly she is no longer tame.

Anyhow I was told at the petstore that she is a lilac spangle, but can't find any mention or photos of that colour online. I have also been told she could either be a graywing or a whitewing violet.

So Bottomline, I am confused.
Whoops can't load from phone, so posting this message from phone and switching to computer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here are the best of the photos that I was able to get of Perdita. The last one which shows her wings best does not show her true colour.
From the looks of the first picture, I'd say she was probably a violet spangle. The next two pictures look more grey than violet though. I'm not sure if that's due to poor image quality or what... The last one definitely looks like a spangle to me! Because the picture's aren't too clear, I'll try and explain what spangle is: The chest, belly and rear should be coloured (violet/lilac in this case) and then the wings, tail, neck and face etc. should be a light colour, probably white or grey. That's a bad description, sorry :D Try typing in "violet spangle" instead of "lilac spangle" and see if you can find some pictures that look similar to Perdita. If not, tell me and I'll try and help again :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the looks of the first picture, I'd say she was probably a violet spangle. The next two pictures look more grey than violet though. I'm not sure if that's due to poor image quality or what... The last one definitely looks like a spangle to me! Because the picture's aren't too clear, I'll try and explain what spangle is: The chest, belly and rear should be coloured (violet/lilac in this case) and then the wings, tail, neck and face etc. should be a light colour, probably white or grey. That's a bad description, sorry :D Try typing in "violet spangle" instead of "lilac spangle" and see if you can find some pictures that look similar to Perdita. If not, tell me and I'll try and help again :)
She actually is more gray than violet. Will post more photos.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here are two more photos of Perdita, this is the closest I have been able to get to her true colour so far. May try natural light next to see if that is any better.
Ok, so there's definitely some violet in there... It's like my Boo, he's grey in person, but he appears blue in photos! She may be dilute violet, so a very pale, dull violet (which would appear grey). But, dilute violet spangle budgies is a bit of a mouthful, so you may not find any photos on the internet! Here's a photo of a dilute violet budgie: http://i28.tinypic.com/jiolkg.jpg Now just imagine that colour, but spangle... Does that look about right?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so there's definitely some violet in there... It's like my Boo, he's grey in person, but he appears blue in photos! She may be dilute violet, so a very pale, dull violet (which would appear grey). But, dilute violet spangle budgies is a bit of a mouthful, so you may not find any photos on the internet! Here's a photo of a dilute violet budgie: http://i28.tinypic.com/jiolkg.jpg Now just imagine that colour, but spangle... Does that look about right?
Yes, that is looking more like what Perdita is.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She is definitely not a spangle :)

She is a dilute and looks like a cobalt violet, but the pictures are not very clear so as to be able to see her true color :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
That is the best I can do for colour. All other attempts add a shade of blue that isn't there.
Budgies with violet factors never look the same in person as in photos unfortunately, it is an ultraviolet shade that our eye can see but that most cameras can not pick up.

I realize the photos will not show what you see, but photos in bright in natural lighting instead of shaded show the tail, cheek patches and body color best even of it is not 100% true to life... Like the ones you posted of her siblings for example :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Budgies with violet factors never look the same in person as in photos unfortunately, it is an ultraviolet shade that our eye can see but that most cameras can not pick up.

I realize the photos will not show what you see, but photos in bright in natural lighting instead of shaded show the tail, cheek patches and body color best even of it is not 100% true to life... Like the ones you posted of her siblings for example :)
I will see what I can do. Btw what do you think of her siblings and what colour are they? I know of someone who is interested in buying at least one of them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol, to funny in a strange sort of way. I had sent photos to the breeder that I got another pair from and was planning on buying a suitable **** for this new hen and he writes back a slightly annoyed letter asking why I kept sending him photos of a hen that he had just sold me, asking me if I thought he didn't know she looked like and why I was asking other people their opinion of the colour of the bird he had just sold me. I had to write back and explain that it isn't the same bird, I thought I had been quite clear on that in the first place and that I was looking for him to pick out a **** for her. He must have forgotten that I had bought the hen I got from him with a mate. The one I got from him is a much more vivid violet.
To look at it from a positive point of view, at least he sees some form of quality in her as he has very nice looking birds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.