Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new here, i have 4 budgies, and recently 2 of them started to mate/feed each other/pick up bedding from the cage floor so i gave them a nest box and sky, the female, laid eggs 3 days later. she has 6 eggs that should start hatching very soon, and I've been feeding them mashed egg, quinoa, greens, and their main diet is roudybush pellets.
I was wondering what the babies would look like, but i dont even know the parents colours for sure :p
could someone help me out?

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
:welcome: to TalkBudgies! :wave:

Oh my gosh. Your hen is stunning! :loveeyes:

I think she is sky blue violet opaline cinnamon.
The **** bird is sky blue recessive pied.

I'll run outcomes through a genetic calculator. Be right back ...

OK ... this is the calculator I use: http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg

Outcomes:
Male chicks:
50% sky blue normal split to opaline cinnamon recessive pied
50% sky blue violet split to opaline cinnamon recessive pied

Female chicks:
50% sky blue normal split to recessive pied
50% sky blue violet normal split to recessive pied

In short, half the chicks will be visual sky blue normal and the other half will be visual sky blue violet normal. This is because opaline and cinnamon are sex-linked genes, and recessive pied is a recessive gene.

You could get other mutations depending upon the parents' splits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! i suspected opaline for the hen, but i wasn't sure. she definitely seems like sky violet cinnamon opaline!
As for the ****, isn't sky blue lighter and more turquoise? His blue is a very bright medium blue and I've seen sky blue budgies and they look different, like this one from the thread "Budgie colours!"

I did find one that looked exactly like him, a sky violet one (also from "Budgie colours!"

is is possible he is sky violet too? That would make all the babies sky violet if he was right?
Im so exited, one of the babies just hatched! :D Its peeping very loud!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would have said Skyblue Opaline Greywing for the hen. Is very hard to pick the shade of blue on the male with such a small amount, I would have said Skyblue from the first photo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know if she is greying or cinnamon, her wings are more grey than brown in real life, so maybe greying. I think sky violet though, I've seen sky greywings and they look very different. Maybe when the babies grown up it would be easier to figure out?

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I dont know if she is greying or cinnamon, her wings are more grey than brown in real life, so maybe greying. I think sky violet though, I've seen sky greywings and they look very different. Maybe when the babies grown up it would be easier to figure out?
If some of the chicks are sky blue violet, you'll know the hen is sky blue violet. The other mutations will not be visible because they'll only be carried in split form (see my outcomes chart above).

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would say your chicks will be sky blue normal, or sky violet normal unless your pair is hiding any mutations like opaline or greywing for the male or recessive pied for the female. Your hen is beautiful! I have a hen similar in color but she is a dominant pied cobalt violet opaline greywing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.