Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have acquired some new budgies and would love to know what outcomes I can expect. Some photos are older, some are new.
This is Louie light green opaline split recessive pied, split blue

If I pair him with DEC yellow in next picture I would achieve recessive pieds and DEC's correct?

Fonzie is a dominant pied. If I paired him with the purple and white recessive pied above I would get dominant pied split recessive pied, possiblly in purple or cobalt?

The one below is Pancake, YF2 sky blue spangle. With the DEC I could get spangle clear flight?

This is Neptune, violet opaline. With recessive pied will get splits, with DEC don't know??

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Pairing Louie with the a DEC should produce:
opaline females
opaline recessive pied females
opaline clearflight pied females
DEC females (masking opaline)
normal males
recessive pied males
clearflight pied males
DEC males
All the males will be split for opaline
If the hen is split for blue about 25% of the chicks will be blue series
Many birds are incorrectly identified as DEC so I hope yours has been identified correctly

Provided no other mutations are involved, Fonzie paired with the recessive pied should produce:
50% normal blue
50% dominant pied blue

Pancake paired with a DEC should produce:
normals
spangles
clearflight pieds
& clearflight pied spangles
All split for recessive pied
All green series unless the DEC is split for blue

Neptune paired with the recessive pied should produce:
normal split for recessive pied (unless he is split)

Neptune paired with the DEC should produce:
50% normal
50% clearflight pied
All split for recessive pied

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nev thats really helpful.
The breeder said she was a DEC and he had quite a few of them. I think Louie will be with her.
Fonzie will pair with recessive pied. Will they also be split recessive pied?
I have a sky blue female normal that Pancake is really keen on in the aviary so I might let true love have its way and see what happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No that is when he was younger. He is about 10 months old now and all my birds are going through a huge moult with the change of seasons here. I took this picture just now.

My dad is making some new breeding cages for me so when he finishes in a month or so time I will start pairing them off.
Another question, this next budgie (Clover) recessive pied was given to me as a female, but now I am not 100% sure. It?? seems to have paired off with a boy but does some head bobbing and calling. Any clues or is it a wait and see one?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Those photos of Clover are not clear enough to tell the sex. If the cere is as light as it appears in the picture it is female but if it looks more pink in reality it is male. A recessive pied male's cere can vary from a fairly light pink to a deep pink, but a recessive pied female's cere will never be pink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.