Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just put a pair down to breed, NOT the ideal colours. The hen has layed two eggs in the aviary though, and got in a battle with another hen over them. The features are ok I suppose, but I am not looking forward to all the splits from the colours.

The **** is an Opaline Grey-Green Cinnamon/Rec. Pied
Sire: Cinnamon Grey, Dam: Cinnamon Grey-Green Rec. Pied.
The pair produced only one opaline so I assume the sire is split for it, then three grey greens and one grey, all cinnamons

The Hen is an albino, no idea of her lineage.

I think I am right in saying all cocks will be split albino,opaline and cinnamon and some of them split rec. pied? and I will get all normal hens?

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, why breed them then? :S
I had a spare cage, with a pair that is bonded and the features on them would create nice chicks, I may even get a surprise of a ripper chick.

Like I said, I would never put these two down to breed normally, but if it means I am going to get a clucth of chicks quickly that are mostly fertile, then I thought it doesnt hurt doing it. The wastage is big with selling all cocks, but I am just checking I got the formula right.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The **** is an Opaline Grey-Green Cinnamon/Rec. Pied
Sire: Cinnamon Grey, Dam: Cinnamon Grey-Green Rec. Pied.
The pair produced only one opaline so I assume the sire is split for it, then three grey greens and one grey, all cinnamons

the problem i see here is that there is no way to get an opaline **** from this pair... if the **** was /opaline you could have gotten an opaline hen but not a ****. so i think the hen must also be opaline... then if the **** was /opaline you could get a male opaline chick.

The Hen is an albino, no idea of her lineage.

I think I am right in saying all cocks will be split albino,opaline and cinnamon and some of them split rec. pied? and I will get all normal hens?
yes, all males split ino (rather than albino) opaline and cinnamon unless the albino hen is cinnamon too. in that case you would get all cinn amon chicks. some split rec pied.

you will get opaline hens rather than normal hens though, some split for rec pied.

you could potentially get a variety of body colours too.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, all males split ino (rather than albino) opaline and cinnamon unless the albino hen is cinnamon too. in that case you would get all cinn amon chicks. some split rec pied.

you will get opaline hens rather than normal hens though, some split for rec pied.

you could potentially get a variety of body colours too.
Thanks Tonic. I got in the first clutch from the parents of the **** in this pair:
- 3 cinnamon grey green cocks (one of them opaline)
- 1 cinnamon grey hen

2nd Clutch:
- 1 cinnamon grey-green ****
- one opaline cinnamon grey green hen.

I never realise the hen was opaline, I just saw her as a rec. pied :p Thanks Tonic!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If the hen started laying in the aviary and was put straight into the breeding cage there is no guarantee that the **** you paired her with will be the father of all the chicks

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the hen started laying in the aviary and was put straight into the breeding cage there is no guarantee that the **** you paired her with will be the father of all the chicks
I know, but really I am happy with any chicks I get lately, been having a bad season. I don't mind if she has chicks with another ****, as all the cocks she was in the aviary with are pretty nice/average cocks, as I have just culled all my lesser stock out.

She is eating lots of oats, sprouts and soft food now, as normally my hens will fatten up in preperation for the chicks while they are bonding/nesting, but this hen is already sitting on nest on a fake egg I put in.

If I get an unexpected mutation, I will probably test breed them to see if it is in them, or if she did pick the other sperm off another ****.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
What do you mean when you say culled?
normally that means they kill them! that's what it means in the pigeon/dove term they break their necks and toss them in the trash! because they ARE NOT "PERFECT" rather its not the perfect markings, color, size, etc

and I think that is down right disgusting myself

when I get babies I don't need for future breeding They're sold to People as pets or they can use them for breeders for their birds. But I don't Kill them because they're not what I wanted or Needed !

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
normally that means they kill them! that's what it means in the pigeon/dove term they break their necks and toss them in the trash! because they ARE NOT "PERFECT" rather its not the perfect markings, color, size, etc

when I get babies I don't need for future breeding They're sold to People as pets or they can use them for breeders for their birds. But I don't Kill them because they're not what I wanted or Needed !
I suspected as much. Hope that's not the case though. Hard to think of all the people who have agonized over ill or dying pets, taking advice from people who could do that. If that sounds judgmental, I'm sorry, because it is. As a vegetarian and a human being, I think all of God's creatures deserve more respect, reverence even, than the word culled implies.
If I have opened a can of worms, so be it. I hope someone will clarify, perhaps supplying an alternate definition of cull.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts

Actually in most cases these days in the bird hobby 'culling' your flock is simply where you sell on/ give away the birds that do not make the grade.

There is not one single breeder I can think of where culling is them killing their birds.

·
Has MBS :)
10,136 Posts

I hope she only means giving them away & selling them, but either way, its a personal decision.
We should not be judging others because of their choices.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts

Culling is used by a lot of different animals breeders who just sell the birds or whatever that do not fit into their breeding plan and just because that term is used by one breeder that kills their stock doesn't mean they all do. You shouldn't be so quick to jump on someone and assume they kill their birds just because some people do. Especially Sophia, she is not that kind of breeder. :)

Cull does have more than one meaning. :)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cull

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
For one I didn't jump on any one I was stating my opinion which I see is still only allowed by the "In the clique" crowd like its always been around here

But Culling is a term that has been used for Hundreds of years and its always meant killing not selling

so Why not like every breeder I know who doesn't keep all of the birds they breed say it like every one else " I sell the birds I don't need"

If I'd ask any breeder I know rather its pigeon, dove, or parrot what culling means to them they will straight up say it's breaking their necks and throwing them in the trash

it is what it means and its how it still used not just in the pigeon/dove breeders but all breeders I've ever talked to and most have been breeding for well over 30 years and when they say they cull birds they do mean kill them not sell them

not hard to type "I sell the birds I don't need"

·
Has MBS :)
10,136 Posts
For one I didn't jump on any one I was stating my opinion which I see is still only allowed by the "In the clique" crowd like its always been around here

But Culling is a term that has been used for Hundreds of years and its always meant killing not selling

so Why not like every breeder I know who doesn't keep all of the birds they breed say it like every one else " I sell the birds I don't need"

If I'd ask any breeder I know rather its pigeon, dove, or parrot what culling means to them they will straight up say it's breaking their necks and throwing them in the trash

it is what it means and its how it still used not just in the pigeon/dove breeders but all breeders I've ever talked to and most have been breeding for well over 30 years and when they say they cull birds they do mean kill them not sell them

not hard to type "I sell the birds I don't need"
Were not a clique crowd, I'll be disappointed if Sophie does kill birds she does not want. There is tension between you two, I don't want to see fights breaking out so I'm trying to remind you, even if it isn't right, it's her decision.
You are both clearly not on good terms, so use the ignore button.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Were not a clique crowd, I'll be disappointed if Sophie does kill birds she does not want. There is tension between you two, I don't want to see fights breaking out so I'm trying to remind you, even if it isn't right, it's her decision.
You are both clearly not on good terms, so use the ignore button.
There are no fights going on at the moment, just a disagreement of opinions. Culling can mean both kill or give away.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread so let's all behave and return to the original topic because it has strayed enough.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what if I breed for a perfect bird? It is called a hobby, in which I love all animals and I am simply enjoying meeting new people through that hobby. I do not know what type of breeder you are, but if you think culling meant I kill my birds, you are obviously not as experienced as you think you are! I have been on alot of forums, and every single experienced breeder I have met has known what that word means!

I understand if people that only own one or two birds don't understand the term, but most breeders from around the world use it! I have used the term for over three years now, and it is accepeted over a variety of forums for budgie breeders. I don't mind if people ask me what it is, but you do not have any right to accuse me of killing birds. I have only killed three birds in my life before, and two of them I didn't even deal with myself.

I do not know what type of person you are, but if you think that a 13 year old girl who loves budgies and birds goes around killing birds is me, then please DO NOT talk to me, DO NOT comment on my threads, DO NOT reply to any of my posts, please just don't even READ my threads! I do not know why you must pick at every post I make, Or what I said to make you so annoyed at me, but I am not doing any of those things to you, so please have the curtesy to not do them back!

And FYI, There is no "in" group at TB! Everyone here si kind and helpful, and we all share the same purpose, to talk about and share information about our wonderful feathered friends!

Perhaps the situation would be better understood when Sophie next logs on and elaborates on her initial posting :)
Thanks Z, all I can say is I am outright furious , that in the 12 hours I didn't log onto this forum, people can accuse me of such things. Thankyou for the people who commented in this thread saying "Let's hear her side of the story" and, "I don't think she is that type of person"

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I suspected as much. Hope that's not the case though. Hard to think of all the people who have agonized over ill or dying pets, taking advice from people who could do that. If that sounds judgmental, I'm sorry, because it is. As a vegetarian and a human being, I think all of God's creatures deserve more respect, reverence even, than the word culled implies.
If I have opened a can of worms, so be it. I hope someone will clarify, perhaps supplying an alternate definition of cull.
My apologies if I offended Sophie. I just wanted to make sure that they way I have heard "cull" being used before was not the way she meant it. Unfortunately she did not see the post in time to respond and clarify before the debate began.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My apologies if I offended Sophie. I just wanted to make sure that they way I have heard "cull" being used before was not the way she meant it. Unfortunately she did not see the post in time to respond and clarify before the debate began.
No, I understand. I just wish people would have waited, that is the thing I hate about living in a different timezone! :eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.