Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help with this girl everyone!

She is grey and has 2 different colors of throat spots, Some are black and some are grey, and she has light grey barring on her back and shoulders, darker grey spots on her back and shoulders.

What do you think she is? Recessive pied? DF dominant pied? Any idea why she has grey and black markings? Any help would be much appreciated!!

p.s. sorry shes a little scruffy it took me forever to catch her! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Recessive pied :)
My BonBon started out with two cheek patches of different colours, as well as some grey patches on his back. After moulting, they have all darkened and both his cheek patches are the same colour now :) He is a recessive pied.

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys :) thats what i was guessing too but wanted to make sure! Do you think she is a greywing or something? Shes so light except for one or 2 throat spots? and the other ones are greyish?

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way to know for sure? She has so little markings that its difficult to tell! I always thought she was a DF domanant pied but then I noticed she had so little markings and no body color except for her rump, and the other DF pieds I have have very dark barring on their heads and shoulders and atleast a little color on there chest, so it made me think maybe she was a recessive pied?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nope! The iris is the ring on the outside of the eye. It can highlight the age of the bird. Rec pieds don't have them.

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont see an iris ring but I thought it could possibly be from her being split for recessive pied. I have a male normal mauve that has no iris ring and I found out he is split to recessive pied through breeding

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here he is... hes almost 2 and no iris. I didnt know his mom or dad was split to it until he had a recessive pied baby... 3 genereations of a sneaky unknown gene! Gotta love the suprises of breeding! :)

Attachments

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What makes you think she is that over DF domanant pied other that her iris if you dont mind me asking? Since u thought she was a Df domanant pied if she had a iris ring? :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
All recessive pieds have no iris rings. Dominant pieds and DF dominant pieds have an iris. Recessive pieds and DF dominant pieds can look similar, but a good way to tell them apart is whether or not they have an iris ring. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
She can't be double factor dominant pied and split for recessive pied, right?
I don't know? I don't want to guess wrong either. I suppose she could be as birds can be split for recessive pied but I do not know how that affect eye color. Hopefully someone smarter comes along :D Also she mentioned her split for recessive pied had no iris ring. I wonder about this?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
^^ What is an iris ring? Is it the ring that are actually part of their eyeballs? I thought all birds had these? :S
thats right, the iris ring is the pale ring around the dark center of your budgies eyeball. it is a part of the eye.

most adult budgies have these but recessive pieds and dark eyed clears do not. also, all baby budgies have no iris ring at first, it develops as they age.

·
19,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes I am not asking about that particular thing, her iris ring or lack there of... she could just be split for recessive pied and that alone could make her not have the ring, not just if she is recessive pied or not, atleast thats what I have read and my one male atleast seems to be that way. I can think of any other reason he has no iris when he is just a normal mauve?
Dont we have to go by her apperance and not just her eye color? Thats why I was asking if you thought she was a recessive or DF pied just by her looks :) This is why I cant figure out what she is because her colors are unlike any of the DF domanant pieds or recessive pieds I have or have seen. I hope someone comes along that can say for sure :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.