Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First time poster and new member! I was curious to y’all’s opinion on what my approx 8 week old budgies gender may be. The internet is giving me conflicting opinions!

Tito

Tiki

Rio

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
Hi and welcome to Talk Budgies!

Tito and Tiki are male budgies
Rio is a female budgie

Do you have all three in the same cage? It can be a problem having two of one gender in with one of another gender. The males may become aggressive if they both want the female as "their" girlfriend.

Additionally, as you have mixed gender birds, you are going to need to do everything necessary to prevent breeding.
Rearranging their cage frequently and limiting the light they get to 8 hours a day will help tremendously. Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
https://www.talkbudgies.com/threads/guidance-for-breeding-advice-threads.400692/#pot-4073930

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, all of the How To Guides, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and the stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.
SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Resource Directory

If you have any questions after reading through everything, please be sure to ask!

Glad you decided to join us and looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply!
Yes, they are all in the same cage- should they be separated? Would it be better if I got another female, or a couple extra, or is it more of a “keep males away from females” situation?

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
Having an even number of budgies by gender (e.g. 2 males and 2 females) would be better.

Personally, I would get one more female and keep the females separate from the males.

However, you can try housing four together but keep in mind that every time you add (or subtract) a budgie from a flock the flock dynamics will change. Not all budgies get along with one another.

Additionally, you need to ensure you have a cage large enough for 4 budgies if you keep them all in one cage. The Prevue Hendryx F050 cage is a good choice. I have both the F040 (which is a bit smaller than the F050) AND the F050 cages for my birds.
If you choose to separate the birds by gender, then you are going to want to have two good sized flight cages for each gender. I believe the bigger the cage the better off the birds are regardless of how much out-of-cage time you give the budgies every day.

Remember that if you get another bird it will need to be quarantined (Did you just get all three of these from the same place?)

Quarantine means housing the new bird in a different cage in a different room than the current bird (as far away from the room the current bird is in as possible) for a period of 35-45 days.

Budgies mask symptoms when they are ill. Symptoms may not
show up for over two weeks.

Often you will not even realize your bird is not well. Many budgie illnesses are airborne which is why you need to quarantine your new bird in a completely different room.

It is also a good idea to always take a new budgie in to see an Avian Vet for a "well-birdie" check-up. This allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your bird in case of any future illnesses or injuries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.