Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought a new budgie yesterday. I named him Buster. I knew he had a special color but when I looked closer today he had more "special" then I thought. I was just looking at this article on the internet.

http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-body-colors.html

And I saw that my budgie didn't exactly match these colors/genes. I'm still a noob with budgie genes and color combos, so I was hoping someone could help identify him for me. He looks mostly faded gray with what looks like cobalt-mauve blue to me. Possibly a hint of skyblue too. But that's not all. He has a few faint yellow feathers on top of his head and to my big suprise violet colored cheek patches! :D

I'm going to post photos as soon as I can. Photobucket is being a little pain in the rear at the moment.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if he looks like a blotchy blueish grey then he is probably a mauve. a mauve would have violet cheek patches rather than the bluey grey of a grey bird.

if he has yellow on his head he is likely a yellow face too.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
if he looks like a blotchy blueish grey then he is probably a mauve. a mauve would have violet cheek patches rather than the bluey grey of a grey bird.

if he has yellow on his head he is likely a yellow face too.
I was thinking mauve too :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it took so long for the pics. Photobucket.com decided to be a good boy today. :)

Anyway here they are, some may be a little blurry but just go with it. LOL

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

he is a greywing, which dilutes the body colour so it will look a bit different from on a normal anyway. i think he is a greywing skyblue, though it looks a little bit like it may have violet in there.... it is really ahrd to tell violet in photos though.

if he has yellow feathers on his head he is probably and yellow face type 1 too.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
the page you were looking at is only for body colour, which is the colour of his chest and belly... his wing colour is controlled by his variety - greywing.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
It is likely the diluting combination of opaline and greywing acting on the cobalt that are producing this colour + the violet 'tinge'. Cobalts often have violet flushing around the neck but this does not indicate violet - 'hidden' or otherwise.

Both opaline and greywing are dilutive, which explains the lovely light pastel shade to what would normally be a nice cobalt colour. If it was sky blue I imagine it would be much paler.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Opaline greywing cobalt and probably violet. The greywing mutation usually have duller cheek patches than this bird so violet is the most likely reason that they are brighter. It is female

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Opaline greywing cobalt and probably violet. The greywing mutation usually have duller cheek patches than this bird so violet is the most likely reason that they are brighter. It is female
Really? I thought only albinos and lutinos had blue cere's when female? Am I wrong? :S How can you tell in this case?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
young birds have slightly different cere colours from adults. in adults you would expect solid smooth blue for a male, or pinkish for a male ino, lacewing or recessive pied. hens all have a rougher brown or whitish cere as adults.

young males are often pinkish purple whilst young hens nearly always go through a stage of having pale blue cere with whitish around the nostrils, just like yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.