Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Smore is 4 months old and he just finished going through his first moult. His colour has changed tremendously. It has gotten much brighter especially his cheek patches!
Originally, I thought he was a mauve spangle. But now I'm wondering if he has some violet in him too.
His mom is a violet with a grey factor recessive pied spangle. His dad is a violet cobalt split for recessive pied. I will provide pictures if needed :)

Here is Smore as a baby: notice how his colour was a lot more dull especially the cheek patches.

This is him now: big difference :eek:

Thank you in advance :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Colours usually intensify when they have their first moult. Your bird is a violet grey spangle. He may also be recessive pied with very few clear areas. Note the small whitish patch high on his chest, also he doesn't appear to be developing iris rings or a blue cere

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
you know i was looking at baby photos of my cookie just yesterday, and i realized why i thought sodapop was the only budgie with cheek patches (yes very dumb i know). cookies cheek patches used to be nearly invisible, but mustve gotten brighter after the first moult.

so anyways my conclusion is that it must be normal :)

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colours usually intensify when they have their first moult. Your bird is a violet grey spangle. He may also be recessive pied with very few clear areas. Note the small whitish patch high on his chest, also he doesn't appear to be developing iris rings or a blue cere
Thank you so much Nev for the confirmation :)
Smore is developing iris rings. They're not that obvious, but you can see them a little in the last picture. It is easier to see them in real life.
His cere is also a bit blue. His brother is a recessive pied and his cere looks quite different. It is more fleshy pink.

·
Member of the Month
2,772 Posts
What an interesting thread and what a coincidence (Nev saying that he's a violet spangle, not mauve :eek:). Zeena, you know how much I love Smore's coloring and I told you that I would have to find a budgie that looked like him. :loveeyes: :XD: But, remember, I said I didn't think I would have any luck in finding one. :(

Wellllll, before I brought Caspir home, I tried to buy an English Budgie from a breeder in my area. But for some strange reason, she wouldn't reply to my e-mails. So I ended up buying Caspir from a pet store.

This is the strange part... last week (before Nev said Smore was violet) she wrote that she had a violet spangle - male - 8 weeks old!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jumping: I wrote back stating that I wanted him!!! Sadly, she's gone into hiding again and hasn't e-mailed with details and pictures. :crying:

I was " " that close to having a Smore look-a-like to go with my BonBon look-a-like. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.