Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, when I went to purchase some leg bands for my grandfathers' canaries, I made the mistake of looking in the bird room.

One cage caught my eye, full of huddling babies. And then I saw her. I have only suspicions of what she could be, but one thing is certain - She is stunning.

I believe she is a blue base violet and either fallow, clearbody, or lacewing. Her eyes are a ridiculously bright red. Her body feathers are either showing slight diffusion, or are dirty. Her wing markings are brown, and there are streaks of a beautiful lilac through them. There is a cobalt-like feather in her tail.

Someone please shed some light on my darling Lily (please tell me I'm correct in assuming it's a girl). These photos are horrible, but do what you can. They were taken at sundown and she didn't want to turn around.

^^ This one was taken WITH flash to try and help show up her colour. It still doesn't do it justice, it is less blue than that, but it's not much better than an of the others.

Reactions: AnimalKaperz

·
Member of the Month March 2013
2,266 Posts
Gorgeous :love:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys :D I'm hoping to try and get some better photos for you all, so we'll see what happens. She's still a bit nervous the poor dear, this is probably the first time she's been on her own, not to mention that she moved around a lot in one day - the pet shop got her in the morning, I got her around lunch time, and then she has a new cage to get used to without her siblings :( I wish I could have afforded to get the other one that looked a lot like her, even just so she still had a friend.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
I've never seen a bird like that. She is
just beautiful, and I'm glad someone
who can really appreciate her beauty
(and share her with us!) was there to
snap her up and take her home :clap:

·
Member of the Month July 2013
4,156 Posts
:love: BEAUTIFUL budgie!

·
Registered
783 Posts
I agree with you and Erin, she's a Violet Opaline Fallow. Very beautiful mutation, rare and hard to find. She kind of looks like my Fallow.

·
Administrator
56,499 Posts
Tracy,

Lily is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! :love:
Congratulations to you on your new addition and to Lily for having you choose to give her a wonderful forever home with lots of love and attention.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just broke the news of this new addition to my parents, and they took it surprisingly well! The words 'rare' and 'worth money' usually does manage to get through to them though XP

Problem is I just did some research on it, and fallow is recessive. Well darn. But hey, she's beautiful and adorable and that's all that matters!

I feel bad for keeping her on her own though, she's so lonely. Today she finally did some of the baby budgies squeaks at me rather than just flutter around like a mad thing. She'll have friends soon though, she'll have to go in the little cage with the other 4 new budgies for the trip home, and then I'm thinking that I might put her and Sally (the new one with scaly face) together for quarantine, since Sally still needs some more treatment. I'm thinking I'll give her a double-length quarantine so that Lily has a buddy to move into the aviary with when the time comes. Although they might get to meet each other a bit sooner than that - with what the temperature is due to be tomorrow, I'm trying to convince my grandparents to let the budgies hide out inside for the day rather than swelter in the heat, and since Lily is living in a fixed breeding cage at the moment, I can't exactly bring it inside...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh man, you're as bad as me! :D She is really, really beautiful!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got home today guys. I'm treating the newbies to a night indoors (though they're spending it cramped in the little cage - I feel horrible, but we had a brown snake up where I keep my cages today and I wasn't gonna risk it when I knew it could still be close by), but tomorrow they'll be split into cages and set up outside for the remainder of quarantine. Should be able to get some bit better photos of little miss Lily then.

She's settling in wonderfully, too. She was a bit shocked about the whole being shoved into a cage with 4 strange birds and having to sit on the seat beside me for a 3.5 hour trip, but towards the end of it she was stretching out on the ladder for a doze. I even managed to give her a little scratch through the bars which is a HUGE improvement on 'OMG run away, person!'.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.