Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a month ago we got Oliver he is a beautiful opaline olive male. But recently blue has been showing up around his vent and on his rump. His color is also becoming lighter, and his yellow face is becoming brighter. What mutation is causing this change? Or is this normal for yellow based birds as they go through there first molt?
a picture from about a month ago

Recent pictures

Oliver and Lace

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
He is probably going through his first molt.

When birds go through their first molt, their feather colours intensify so their faces become yellower and feathers become darker. I have a bird that is green with a blue rump. This could be because your bird ia a YF2 sky blue bird ???

I shall let others reply XD I am not too good for this.

·
Registered
735 Posts
He might not be olive. :budgie: He might be violet green.

Green series birds with the violet gene usually end up darker than the normal light green and have blue/purple colored feathers near the vent area.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I agree with Reese - your bird might be a green carrying violet. The only way to be sure about violet on a green bird is by test breeding

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree with Reese - your bird might be a green carrying violet. The only way to be sure about violet on a green bird is by test breeding
Ok thanks, that makes sense. Would that make him a dark green with the violet making him look like an olive green? Would that make him a double or single factor violet? Also, is there any way to tell if a green bird is carrying the yellow face gene? And finally how would you test breed him to see if he is carrying the violet gene if he isn't split for blue? He could be but what if hes not? Sorry for all the questions!!:eek:

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Ok thanks, that makes sense. Would that make him a dark green with the violet making him look like an olive green? Would that make him a double or single factor violet? Also, is there any way to tell if a green bird is carrying the yellow face gene? And finally how would you test breed him to see if he is carrying the violet gene if he isn't split for blue? He could be but what if hes not? Sorry for all the questions!!:eek:
Not sure I have an absolute answer for you, but he looks olive and not dark green to me. I would pair him with a sky blue normal hen. You should get all single dark factors if he is olive (dark greens and cobalts if he is split to blue). Cobalt is easiest, in my opinion, to see violet in. Also, if the hen is normal sky blue, and he is YF, you should get yellow face chicks (once again if he is split to blue). Just make sure you have a normal hen and not a DF yf type 1 hen. My girl, Bette, is a DF yellow face type 1 - they look normal ( white faces), but produce 100% yf babies.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure I have an absolute answer for you, but he looks olive and not dark green to me. I would pair him with a sky blue normal hen. You should get all single dark factors if he is olive (dark greens and cobalts if he is split to blue). Cobalt is easiest, in my opinion, to see violet in. Also, if the hen is normal sky blue, and he is YF, you should get yellow face chicks (once again if he is split to blue). Just make sure you have a normal hen and not a DF yf type 1 hen. My girl, Bette, is a DF yellow face type 1 - they look normal ( white faces), but produce 100% yf babies.
Thanks for your help!!! That makes a lot of sense! Know we just need to wait for him to be old enough to breed, and hope he is split for blue!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.