Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again,

I posted a few grey wing Buds on another thread because I wanted to see if I could breed them to obtain more of their kind..However, Patches has blown me away!!! I would love to breed him for the same reason, love his color!!! That said, do I have any birds that would accommodate his look, or do I need to find a female of his mutation?

Please help!!

Here is his photo

And here is a photo of cappy, wonder if that would work...Hopefully CB can answer this since she gave me a break down of all mutations of my birds..

Thanks!!

Anthony

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, I'll be taking another shot next week at another 2 females...Get that!!! 2 times this Pet store has given me a male when I asked to be sure its 2 females..Now I have 4 males and 2 females, needing 2 more females so things are even being that Luke, Cappy & Charlie are fighting with one another over....?? Their sister!!! and charlie is the dad..Sickos! LOL...Perhaps I should bring a male bird with me to be sure I get 2 females this time...But hey, did I mention I hate Pet Stores...RRRRRR!!!

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Your budgie is an opaline yellow face (possibly type 2) blue dominant pied. You can breed him with any other budgie to get that mutation as yf (yellow face) is a dominant gene meaning that 50% of his chicks will show the gene. If he is pared with a green female, she will need to varry the blue gene (1 of her parents was blue) to produce blue budgies.
Opaline on the other hand is a sex-linked gene. As he is male im pretty sure he can only have female opalines and the males will be split for it (carry the gene). Hope that helps :D

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Cappy looks to be a recessive pied. If you were to pair them you will still get the mutations you want from the male in the chicks. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It would be great if you have photos of both birds wings along with their bellies. We could also determine what type of pieds you have by the birds Iris rings. Can you tell us if either of the birds have iris rings. But with the photos you have here it looks like...
Patches is a Greywing,Dominant pied,Yellow face type two,Blue maybe recessive pied mix
Cappy looks like a Dominant pied,Green maybe recessive pied mix

Dominant pied, green and yellow face are dominant genes meaning you would only need one parent that shows the gene to produce that type of chick.

Recessive pied, blue and greywing are recessive genes meaning you would need both parents to show or be split for the gene to get a chick with that mutation.

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent!! Thanks for the information!. Now, since all birds were bought at the same store, I wonder if Kiki & Patches are related...I think this would be a great breeding pair!! Kiki has that light teal with yellow to her, another very unique color..But I wonder is this is the other color from said parents should they be related..How can we know for sure? I don't want no french molt issues, deformities, and always sick being this is what happens when breeding siblings..

As of now, those 2 seem to be close, always preening each other..

here is a photo of Kiki

and another shot of patches..

P.S No Iris rings yet, seem to be only 4 Months old...

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is stunning :loveeyes: I'm no help with mutations, but I would love one of his babies :p
LOL I hear that!!! I'm hoping that I can breed Kiki & Patches, just a feeling that they too are siblings just like the 3 grey wings...SIGH!! These pet stores really need to tell you there info!! They should try keeping records for a change..

Anyway, Lets see what happens here JM..I'd be more than happy to send you one if all goes as planned...I never shipped live-stock before, but if its safe then why not..Also, I would not be looking for money here, just a hobby for me..I may try to breed 2 or 3 pairs then that's it only because I want to keep my guys happy...I wish Felix, Noah, and Leo would get with it!!! LOL...Some birds eh...;)

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
LOL I hear that!!! I'm hoping that I can breed Kiki & Patches, just a feeling that they too are siblings just like the 3 grey wings...SIGH!! These pet stores really need to tell you there info!! They should try keeping records for a change..

Anyway, Lets see what happens here JM..I'd be more than happy to send you one if all goes as planned...I never shipped live-stock before, but if its safe then why not..Also, I would not be looking for money here, just a hobby for me..I may try to breed 2 or 3 pairs then that's it only because I want to keep my guys happy...I wish Felix, Noah, and Leo would get with it!!! LOL...Some birds eh...;)
I don't think I would trust shipping :eek: I'll just swoon over the photos in the mean time :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Isn't Cappy a boy? And if he is Penny and Charlie's son he should be a sf dominant pied from his dad :)

I agree with Bridgett, Patches is a dominant pied, yellow face type 2 greywing possibly opaline I cant see his back.

Kiki is a opaline yellow face type 2.

I would NOT breed any of these birds together as I said before, they all look like brothers and sisters and their mutations could easily come from the same clutches. Its always best to get birds from completely different places and breeders if you want to breed them, or pair them up with your existing birds that you know aren't related :)

Even if the pet store told you they weren't related I would not believe them, they cant tell the difference between a boy and a girl, let alone know the genetic back round of the babies. There is no way to know, and its always better safe than sorry since often times large breeders that sell to pet stores inbreed themselves and then you would have not one but 2 strikes against you in the genetic department ;)

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't Cappy a boy? And if he is Penny and Charlie's son he should be a sf dominant pied from his dad :)

I agree with Bridgett, Patches is a dominant pied, yellow face type 2 greywing possibly opaline I cant see his back.

Kiki is a opaline yellow face type 2.

I would NOT breed any of these birds together as I said before, they all look like brothers and sisters and their mutations could easily come from the same clutches. Its always best to get birds from completely different places and breeders if you want to breed them, or pair them up with your existing birds that you know aren't related :)

Even if the pet store told you they weren't related I would not believe them, they cant tell the difference between a boy and a girl, let alone know the genetic back round of the babies. There is no way to know, and its always better safe than sorry since often times large breeders that sell to pet stores inbreed themselves and then you would have not one but 2 strikes against you in the genetic department ;)
LOL Yes, Cappy is a boy, just wanted to give an example of the color since I had no good shots of His twin, same color but a girl..Sigh!! I agree...I was hoping to breed Kiki & Patches, Kiki has some great color too, love that teal green if that's the color...I think I have some shots of their backs, see how these are..

Kiki, side/back shot

This is a shot of the grey wing from before, but her back

Very good shot of Patches back

2 Side shots of Patches

This is the best shot I have of Kiki to her back for now...I plan on taking many more photo's during the week of the entire flock..Plus on Thursday I need to get 2 more girls so I can move Charlie..

Hopefully this will help more...

Thanks a bunch everyone!!!

Anthony

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Ok Patches is a opaline yellowface dominant pied :) Yellowface and dominant pied are both dominant, half of his babies will get the genes. All of his daughters will be opaline. So there is a good chance you will get more like him no matter who you pair him to :)

·
Banned
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Patches is a opaline yellowface dominant pied :) Yellowface and dominant pied are both dominant, half of his babies will get the genes. All of his daughters will be opaline. So there is a good chance you will get more like him no matter who you pair him to :)
Excellent!!! Looks like I got very lucky with him...Now, who do I pair him with?? Charlie would be a good bet I think being he is albino and his chicks all came out very nice too..I really like the color of Cappy, has some of moms green and Charlie's yellow, nice markings..Or, it may be up to the 2 new girls I get on Thursday since I have all of the others paired except Charlie, Cappy, Luke & Tiffany..Tiffany looks like Penny, Green but lighter, with Yellow face/head as a whole..

This is Tiffany I think...She was a twin of Jasmine who got out a few weeks ago..:(

Its a bad photo...but you can see most of her color

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.