Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
it's hard to tell, because the spots above her head are so subtle and she barely has any blotches on her front chest and belly. I would say she is a mix between normal and dominant, but she is obviously still young so its still too early to tell.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I have and olive green typical budgie who has a few yellow feathers on his head. It ended up that one of his offspring was a recessive pied so one of his parents had to be. Maybe it is just a clue to lineage. If your bird was a pied, she would have white on the belly as well ranging from a lot to a little. And she/he looks young so that cere could still change. So I would say typical blue. I am not always good at differenciating between sky and cobolt so i will let somebody else do that. Very pretty birds :)

Edit: I forgot to add that mom was a typical mauve but had no iris rings. That was her recessive pied clue that led to my recessive baby. Usually you would not see any clues and I am not sure that is what is happening with your bird, but you never know :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your bird is a normal cobalt that is split to recessive pied. The spots on her head are an indication that she has the gene and probably one of her parents or grandparents was a recessive pied. If she was mated to a recessive pied then about half of the chicks would be recessive pied. If she was mated to a bird who is split to recessive pied, then about 25% of the chicks would be recessive pieds. If she was mated to a bird that doesn't have a recessive pied gene then there would be no recessive pied chicks. The dominant pied gene cannot be carried as split.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Your bird is a normal cobalt that is split to recessive pied. The spots on her head are an indication that she has the gene and probably one of her parents or grandparents was a recessive pied. If she was mated to a recessive pied then about half of the chicks would be recessive pied. If she was mated to a bird who is split to recessive pied, then about 25% of the chicks would be recessive pieds. If she was mated to a bird that doesn't have a recessive pied gene then there would be no recessive pied chicks. The dominant pied gene cannot be carried as split.
Fuji's got the same thing on his head and he is a cobalt blue, and Mika is a mauve recessive pied. Does that mean if they mated 50% of the chicks would be recessive pieds. How about the possiblity of a dominant pied?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Fuji's got the same thing on his head and he is a cobalt blue, and Mika is a mauve recessive pied. Does that mean if they mated 50% of the chicks would be recessive pieds. How about the possiblity of a dominant pied?
Yes about 50% of the chicks would be recessive pieds. Not all birds that are split for recessive pied have the spot on their heads but it's handy if they do.

Dominant pieds can only be bred from a dominant pied. the mutation can't be carried as split

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.