Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bred this hen last year. (goldenface dominant/recessive clearflight pied)

With This male (light green spangle split cinnamon(or cinnamon) and recessive pied)

and their offspring turned out to be this.(One cinnamon spangle female, one male spangle, one normal green female and one recessive pied female)

In saying that the hen was a dominant/recessive pied.... why were none of the babies dominant pied? just luck because it was 50/50 chance to get a pied?

In saying that... what would I get if I bred her with him?
all recessive pieds?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
are you saying the female is clear flight pied or split to it? because a budgie can't be split to clear flight pied

and if you have a budgie who carries both clear flight pied and recessive pied you'll get Dark eyed clears which would basically Look like a Lutino (in green series) only no red eyes or an Albino(In blue series) again no red eyes

and yes you should of gotten Dominant Pied - like its name it is Dominant

when ever I have 1 Dominant Pied parent I get at least 1 Depending on the size of the clutch Dominant pied baby

if you put her with a recessive pied you'll get recessive pied, Dominant Recessive pied (both visually on the same bird) and Normals split to recessive pied

I have a Double Factor Dominant Recessive pied I put with a recessive pied and got all Dominant Recessive pied babies

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know I need ten characters to complete this message, but this is all I've got:
:soconfused:
I mean, you have to understand, I've been researching this for days. And I'm really good at punnet squares. But this is ridiculous. I've never been so lost.
*EDIT*
Ok, I think I'm up to speed. What makes you think she is clearflight to begin with? the recessive pied explains the lack of marking on her wings. If she was clearflight, the markings would go a bit further down, wouldn't they? It would just be the flight feathers that were off. It's not entirely impossible that she would have four babies and none be dominant pied.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know I need ten characters to complete this message, but this is all I've got:
:soconfused:
I mean, you have to understand, I've been researching this for days. And I'm really good at punnet squares. But this is ridiculous. I've never been so lost.
haha! its like trying to learn a foreign language with no translation book! i'm with you

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't know, but I just want to say that your hen's coloration is really unusual :) and pretty :D It looks like someone painted splashes of color on her!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Your hen is either a combination of dominant pied and clearflight pied OR a combination of dominant pied & recessive pied. Do you have a good photo of her pied chick? It doesn't look to be just recessive pied and it could have the same mutations as it's mother. Although the expected breeding result would be 50% of the chicks showing dominant pied, either on it's own or combined with the other mutations, you won't get this result in every clutch.

If the hen is mated to a recessive pied the result will depend on knowing the exact mutations of the hen. If clearflight pied is one of her mutations you could expect some dark eyed clear chicks. If she is a combination of dominant pied & recessive pied you should get 50% recessive pied & 50% combination pied.

Also to add to the mixture I wouldn't be surprised if your recessive pied **** wasn't a spangle recessive pied

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would either have to be her or the father that was a clear flight... There was a fifth chick that I'm pretty sure was going to be a clearflight pied but sadly he/she passed away before being fully feathered so maybe I was wrong.

This is the chick that I believe is a recessive pied.
That is what barrie thought at least.... He said she may have been a double factored dominant pied... but then the dad would have had to be dominant pied as well and he's not. I will have to see if I have any pictures of her back.From memory her wings are completly yellow with a few markings in the wings on one side and she has a bit of green closer to her tail but under the wings. As well as I will see if I have any pictures of the fifth chick that died to show you why I thought he was a clear flighted pied....

Also.. Nev. That is interesting that you think he has spangle in him. How would you be able to tell? Other than breeding him.

They are set up for breeding. I guess I will see what I get and maybe finally figure out what the hen is.

·
3,676 Posts
A back picture of the chick would be good but it still could be uncertain whether it is two pied types

The pied **** looks like he could be spangle as well but breeding is the only way to be sure

I think that dominant pied & recessive pied are much more likely for your hen than clearflight pied & dominant pied because she is not showing any iris rings

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nev here are a few of the back of the pied baby....

Does clearflight need to have two genes in order to occur like recessive does?

Also here are a few pictures of the baby I thought would have been a clearflight... I may be wrong so I would not be surprised...Hope you can pick the one I'm talking about out..... if he/she wasn't going to be a clearlight what do you think he would have been?

Baby in between two almost fully feathered ones

Baby on right.

Baby closest to front.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nev, she has really faint iris rings when you look at her. You can see them. Where as on the recessive pied **** I have you can't.

·
3,676 Posts
The back picture of the chick looks like a combination of dominant and recessive pied but recessive pieds can be very variable so it is not certain. The very clear flight feathers and the splash of color high on the chest are signs of dominant pied. Here are links to a couple of threads about my combined pieds:
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=45435
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=69638

The chick that died has clear flight feathers and so does the cinnamon spangle - this could be dominant pied or clearflight pied.

Clearflight pied is a dominant gene so it only needs to come from one parent but if it is combined with recessive pied you get a dark eyed clear which is why I think that dominant pied is more likely to be your birds mutation. Unless the hen is combined dominant pied & clearflight pied visually and split for recessive pied.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. Thanks for your information. I will let you know if she has any chicks from the recessive pied and post pictures of them. With breeding her to him would that help you in being able to define if she is recessive or clear flight? She likes to lay a large clutch of 8 to 9 eggs. Is that inheritable?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far the hen is starting to spend more and more time in the nest box. However I have not seen them mate as of yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far one egg in the nest. I haven't seen them properly mate though so I do not know if they will be fertile. The male grooms, feeds, and goes in the nest with her so I'm assuming they probably have mated but they like their privacy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This thread was like one loooong calculus equation for me. I think I have a headache now. ;)

And the recessive pied chick you were showing the pictures of looks just like my Sunny.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awe. :D Yea she was a pretty girl. There are three eggs in the nest now, the fourth should be laid tonight. However I have not seen them mate. The first egg should hatch on May 10. and every other day after that as the hen sat as soon as she layed... providing they are indeed fertile I will have some chicks soon. I wonder what they will look like this time. :D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7 eggs in the nest and I don't know if they are fertile or not. If they are the first chick should hatch tomorrow at around 3 or 4pm. I still haven't seen them mate what so ever. So time will tell. If she actually has chicks I'm going to be so surprised.

Do budgies by chance breed inside of the nestbox?

G

·
Probably a pic of the eggs can determine which ones are pearl white in colour, dull colour or pinkish red colour ? Can you get the picture ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.