Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but based on the lack of baby bars AND the lack of white iris rings I would guess she is between 6-8 months old. She's lovely!! :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
In person is she more of a Sea Foam Green or an actual Green?

if she's an Actual Green she's a Green Dominant Pied

if she's more sea foam green she's a YF Blue Dominant Pied

she's roughly 4 1/2 months old

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is more of a light green color she used to have a light blue under her tail but after her first moult it faded. Her mother is all yellow with just a small patch of green on her chest and the father is an olive normal green history with a blue tale.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
She is more of a light green color she used to have a light blue under her tail but after her first moult it faded. Her mother is all yellow with just a small patch of green on her chest and the father is an olive normal green history with a blue tale.
Ok both parents are Green series - so unless they both was split to blue she's Green series as well which would make her Green pied And you'd know if they were split to blue because they'd have both Green and blue babies

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks and if I were to breed my yellowface type 1 skyblue grey wing with her in the future what would I come up with. Also she is actually 10 months old because I've had her sinnce February when she was 6 weeks old. ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
She's adorable! I'm still working my way through Budgie genetics. But no arguing she's a beautiful sweetie! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Light green dominant pied hen to yellowface type 1 skyblue grey wing ****:

If the hen is not split for blue or greywing
50% light green normal
50% dominant pied light green
(All split for blue & greywing)

If the hen is split for blue:
25% light green normal
25% dominant pied light green
12.5% sky blue normal
12.5% dominant pied sky blue
12.5% yellow face sky blue
12.5% yellow face dominant pied sky blue

If the hen is split for greywing half of the chicks will be greywing

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Thanks and if I were to breed my yellowface type 1 skyblue grey wing with her in the future what would I come up with. Also she is actually 10 months old because I've had her sinnce February when she was 6 weeks old. ;)
are those older pics? that is not the mask/cap (Head and face) of a 10 month old Budgie

This is a picture of a almost 9 month old budgie

this one is 6 months old

BOTH have less baby bars and more cap(the clear area on top the head) showing than yours does - the picture is of a Very young budgie not a 10 month old budgie and at 10 months old they'd have light iris rings(white) which stand out like a sore thumb like this one
The one on the left

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes when I got her in february she was 6 weeks old because, the breeder was my mom's friend and we got to see them when they hatched till the day we got them. Its November 11th now so she should actually be about 9 months old sorry did the math wrong.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You have a very pretty budgie :D.
I disagree about the whole white iris way of aging because Higgins will be three years old this month and she doesn't have light irises. She also still has bars like yours.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
You have a very pretty budgie :D.
I disagree about the whole white iris way of aging because Higgins will be three years old this month and she doesn't have light irises. She also still has bars like yours.
well if your bird is a recessive pied it won't have iris rings and the bars would be different!

90% of birds with Normal Mutations will look like the birds I posted at 8 plus months old. and some even younger when they are raised in an Aviary type setting.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I totally agree with you because, her brother that recently passed away had only few bars on his head just like the one in the picture and they were the same age. Why do you think she's like this then? I know the breeder who gave her to me line bred because my other budgie died at 9 months old for no apparant reason so signs of illness no fumes in the house because, I didn't light any candles work with any bad chemicals like bleach. When I do use them I move my birds to my bedroom with the door closed. So since she bred 2 siblings could it have been because, of genetics?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm still not fluent in Budgie genetics so don't really understand the differences in recessive and dominant pied. I was just saying what I see with my budgies, and that the ways people tell a birds age by appearance doesn't always work because I've had people mis-age Higgins when I know she's almost three.
Please explain to me why this budgie is considered dominant and Higgins recessive. When the only difference to me is she is green and Higgs is white and blue. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
I totally agree with you because, her brother that recently passed away had only few bars on his head just like the one in the picture and they were the same age. Why do you think she's like this then? I know the breeder who gave her to me line bred because my other budgie died at 9 months old for no apparant reason so signs of illness no fumes in the house because, I didn't light any candles work with any bad chemicals like bleach. When I do use them I move my birds to my bedroom with the door closed. So since she bred 2 siblings could it have been because, of genetics?
I would say the person Inbred not line bred- there is a fine line between the 2 (and i do mean fine lol) But line bred is normally a Grandma to a Grandson, Aunt to A nephew and so on - where it is further down the Relationship line... Inbreeding is Brother- sister- Mom- son- Father- daughter and to me that is way too close together to be breeding them and doing so can cause a lot of problems not all are visual some are internal but I have seen birds (not personally but pictures of the outcome) of babies who the breeder allowed brothers and sisters to breed, or a mom to a son or a dad to a daughter- I've seen birds born missing an eye, missing part of its beak, missing a leg, missing a wing or one wing would be really short and stubby while the other normal - and it could very well be bad breeding that caused yours to die so young
I'm still not fluent in Budgie genetics so don't really understand the differences in recessive and dominant pied. I was just saying what I see with my budgies, and that the ways people tell a birds age by appearance doesn't always work because I've had people mis-age Higgins when I know she's almost three.
Please explain to me why this budgie is considered dominant and Higgins recessive. When the only difference to me is she is green and Higgs is white and blue. :)
I've never seen your bird so I don't know what it is

but Dominant pied Normally has a clear band on its belly that separates its chest from its lower half the males do get blue ceres, both genders get iris rings

Recessive pied Only has color on the lower half of the body, sometimes there will be a small amount around the neck - males do not get Blue ceres and neither males nor females ever get iris rings - they keep the little black baby eyes all their lives

Dominant pied - like the name says is Dominant meaning if you were to breed 1 dominant to one Non dominant you'd get half dominant babies - My Avatar Pic (top left corner) is of a Dominant Pied

Recessive pied - like the name says is recessive in order to get any visually both parents must carry the gene either visually, or in split form. Or one visual one split,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.