Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
He was sold to me as a frosted pied, but there is doubt as to what he is?

I thought maybe a normal skyblue split for recessive pied, but he has iris rings.

Can someone help?

NEW PHOTOS that may help???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no experience with frosted pieds whatsoever, but just because he has iris rings doesnt mean he can't be split pied.
good to know, thank you.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
A frosted pied is a variation of a clearflight pied. He certainly isn't a normal

He doesn't quite match the description of a frosted pied but I think that's probably his mutation

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A frosted pied is a variation of a clearflight pied. He certainly isn't a normal

He doesn't quite match the description of a frosted pied but I think that's probably his mutation
Ok thank you. I read somewhere and I lost the spot and forgot the info. But I want to know how to get a frosted is achieved? It sounded like 2 different pieds bred together and then the offsprings bred to another pied? Who would he best be paired with? And what kind of young would I expect?

·
3,676 Posts
Ok thank you. I read somewhere and I lost the spot and forgot the info. But I want to know how to get a frosted is achieved? It sounded like 2 different pieds bred together and then the offsprings bred to another pied? Who would he best be paired with? And what kind of young would I expect?
If that is his mutation it is dominant so you should get some by pairing him with a normal

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Wow what a beautiful bird. I knew there where single and double factor spangles not I find out their are more types... It looks like a spangle opaline kind of but then again not really. It will be interesting to see what nev has to say about this one.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i see the frosting but no pied markings, but it def looks different from a normal. i ahve not seen a normal with that much opalescence before but i guess its possible...

if it is a frosted pied then it genetically a clearflight pied and will breed like one. they are a variation on that variety that have been selected and bred for to make a new effect. much like opaline spangles can have huge variation in how they look.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
He is NOT an opaline, as opalines have a clear stripe on their wing feathers.

What about a melanistic spangle? not sure on the specifics, maybe Nev can give some more info?
then explain the body color that is in the wings?????? There is such a thing as a Poorly marked bird!

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Wow what a beautiful bird. I knew there where single and double factor spangles not I find out their are more types... It looks like a spangle opaline kind of but then again not really. It will be interesting to see what nev has to say about this one.
not a spangle their wing markings are "backwards" light on top dark on the ends here is a Opaline Spangle

Wing spread out

Just hanging around

then a Normal Spangle

and another normal spangle

Normal opaline - Green English top left corner

That site I posted had a few I've never heard of and I've read A lot of sites on budgie mutations, like the Frosty Pied - never heard of such a thing and can't find much info on it either

The melanistic spangle I've never heard of either, but according to that site They Loose markings as they molt.

I really think you just have a poorly marked Opaline

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
there are a few trait that make up an opaline and to me that bird is missing most of them, though i can see how the opalescence (colour in the wings) can make it seem a bit opaline. in opalines the body colour should replace the yellow/white at the edge of the feathers rather than have the normal edging but some body colour in the centre of the black bit. i have seen many normal with opalescence but none with that much.

i have seen pictures of frosted pieds from a breeder who confirms that it is a variation of clearflight pied. if this bird had pied markings i would be convinced that is what it is, without them i am unsure...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It does have the opaline v with few markings and lots of body color between the neck and the shoulderblades. Does anyone else see it?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
It does have the opaline v with few markings and lots of body color between the neck and the shoulderblades. Does anyone else see it?
yes that is the 1st thing I noticed That screamed Opaline, 2nd thing being the Bars on the back of the head are not "smooth" they're "wrinkly" (when I explain to a non mutation expert how to know a bird is Opaline One thing i tell them is the Bars going down the back of its head looks like a elderly persons skin ALL WRINKLY) and this bird has that along with the notorious V of the Opaline and the color going through the wings- its screaming Opaline on every account of Opaline

Opaline is a striping pattern mutation. It reverses the striping pattern on the head feathers so that there are thicker white areas and thinner black stripes. Another feature which adds to the beauty of this mutation is that the body feather color runs through the stripes on the back of the neck and down through the wing feathers. Opaline budgies' tails are characteristically patterned with light and colored areas running down the tail feather.
from www.***************

The opaline should have the edges of all wing feathers well defined and show the same colour as the body colour on the
wings,a smudging on the wings is a fault on the show bench.The body colour runs through the stripes on the back of the
neck and down through the wing feathers replacing the yellow or white of a normal.The tail feathers also have areas of the
body colour running through.
The V area down the back called the saddle should be the same colour as the body without any dark markings.
from:http://www.officialbarrieshuttbudgerigars.com/coloursmutations.htm

·
3,676 Posts
Breeding will be needed to comfirm the mutation

There is always a lot of variation between clearflight pieds (& frosted pieds).

The bird is showing a lot of opalescence but it is not an opaline.

Melanistic spangles do have similar wing markings but I doubt if that is it's mutation

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, I didn't know there was another spangle mutation as well.

i see the frosting but no pied markings, but it def looks different from a normal. i ahve not seen a normal with that much opalescence before but i guess its possible...

if it is a frosted pied then it genetically a clearflight pied and will breed like one. they are a variation on that variety that have been selected and bred for to make a new effect. much like opaline spangles can have huge variation in how they look.
It does have a pied marking on the back of his head.

Breeding will be needed to comfirm the mutation

There is always a lot of variation between clearflight pieds (& frosted pieds).

Melanistic spangles do have similar wing markings but I doubt if that is it's mutation
Well it will be interesting to find out. I suppose if I pair him with a spangle that will confuse things? As well as a DEC?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
not a spangle their wing markings are "backwards" light on top dark on the ends
Just thought I would say that spangles markings are NOT reversed.
Spangle markings are close to the edge feather, but there is till a white or yellow edge. The melanin present is reduced to leave different lines thickness, depth and colour.

then explain the body color that is in the wings?????? There is such a thing as a Poorly marked bird!
Nev, who is a very nice member and contributes greatly on here (among other people of course) has already mentioned, normal birds can show opalescence. The number one rule I hold to see fi a bird is opaline, is the stripe on the wing!
This is a poorly (VERY) marked opaline. He looks normal apart from the lack of bars. But NOTE the stripe on wing.

As chick:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.