Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing my daily sit-at-the-cage-and-blink-at-the-bird routine, and I noticed something odd. I mean. I've noticed it before but I always thought it was light reflecting off the white tray/paper, but now I'm not so sure. o-o

You can see this patch of lighter colored feathers on his belly and splotches of darker feathers around it. I checked out other photos that I've taken and I've seen it in those too, I can also see it irl as well.

So what do you all think it is? A lighting effect that's playing tricks on my eyes or some color mutation to blame?

I'm gonna wait until nighttime, and find out if I can see it then too.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Looks like it's caused by molting - when they molt darker feathers come in to replace the lighter feathers

Also If he lives by the window all the time the sun could be bleaching out his colors I know it happens a lot with out side aviaries. I've seen it a lot in cockatiels who live out side- They'll be Normal Grey then after being out side in the sun for 4 plus months they look more like a light brown than a dark ash grey.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright. Phew. XD I thought I was going nuts. He's only been by the window for a week or two so it's probably just from molting then. C:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Alright. Phew. XD I thought I was going nuts. He's only been by the window for a week or two so it's probably just from molting then. C:
it most likely is, I was going through my old pics and I had one similar color to yours and she was like that too I got her when she still had a good bit of baby bars, so after she molted a couple times she was more all one shade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.