Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are NOT my birds! what mutation are they? and is "feather duster" parakeets a real breed?

heres the web page:
http://www.ps1budgerigars.com/page5.htm
that are pretty and weird at the same time! :)
feather duster: Pretty. weird.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
The first one is a Colbalt ****.

feather dusters are not a rare breed, they are in fact a genetic mutation that no decent breeder would ever want to breed, they do not live very long, normally just a few months, I am aware of some making it to a year or more but these were on a very very good diet with enough nutrition to sustain the feather growth.

Their feathers never stop growing which puts a lot of strain on their bodies, they can not see without the feathers being clipped around their eyes, they can fly, they can not feed without their face feathers being clipped.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the first one is a cobalt Exhibition Budgie.

the other two are feather dusters that just about eat themselves to death!! they don't live very long about 9-12months!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i love the first one. kind of want one but they are probably a lot of $$$

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i love the first one. kind of want one but they are probably a lot of $$$
Price of exhibition birds has to do with quality as well as who the breeder is. Prices range $20 to $1,000.

A bird with spots like the top bird, length as well as width of feather is going to be on the high price range.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
:eek: Poor little featherdusters. Talk about a bad hair day! It's hard to tell
there is even a bird in there. And you say this is a genetic mutation
that can be identified and avoided, yes?

It's nice to have the photo of the show bird as a comparison to what
I've got...which is nowhere near a show bird :laughing2: I think they're
both beautiful, but it's always good to know where you stand :cool:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
thepennywhistle;974994And you say this is a genetic mutation that can be identified and avoided said:
Feather Dusters are a freak genetic mutation sort of like downs syndrom is in humans. Some times it happens with using older breeding birds, some times it happens with tired adult breeders.

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
thepennywhistle;974994And you say this is a genetic mutation that can be identified and avoided said:
Feather Dusters are a freak genetic mutation sort of like downs syndrom is in humans. Some times it happens with using older breeding birds, some times it happens with tired adult breeders.
Oh, the 'surprise' kind of genetics as opposed to 'if you breed 2 merle dogs together, you know you're going to have problem puppies' kind. So sad you can't avoid it 100%. Thanks for clarifying that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.