Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I'm very new to budgie parenting and I have no clue what my little guy is... can some one help me identify his mutation? I'd be very greatful.

I realize they aren't the clearest pics, but are they helpful?

·
Registered
76 Posts
your baby is a yellowface Yellowface
Yellowface budgies are in between yellow-based budgies and white-based budgies. There are different degrees of the level of yellow pigment, less than the yellow-based variety. These different levels of yellow pigment are caused by several different genes. Visually, there are two types of yellow face: and . yellowface budgies, the mask feathers are all yellow. The yellow may also show up in the peripheral tail feathers. The yellow is confined to these areas only and the budgie is normally colored in the body feathers. yellowface budgies have yellow in the mask feathers and tail, . However, after the first molt at 3 months of age, the yellow diffuses into the body color and creates a new color, depending on the original color. In the case of the sky blue variety, yellowface creates a seafoam green color, but yellowface the body color remains sky blue.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Actually, I'd say he is a Dark Green normal. Not Yellowface, as he is fully green and has not even moulted for the first time yet. (that is when a blue bird with a yellow face turns almost all green)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I'd say he is a Dark Green normal. Not Yellowface, as he is fully green and has not even moulted for the first time yet. (that is when a blue bird with a yellow face turns almost all green)
hmm yes, I was sort of leaning towards this but I had seen something else that said opline? But Robin told me to have you guys look at him cause you were great. I agree I think he's definitley a green little dude. So he's a Dark Green normal. lol. The chick at the pet store try to say it wasn't very common and I was like really? Cause there's like a million in the cage there. lol.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
your baby is a yellowface Yellowface
Yellowface budgies are in between yellow-based budgies and white-based budgies. There are different degrees of the level of yellow pigment, less than the yellow-based variety. These different levels of yellow pigment are caused by several different genes. Visually, there are two types of yellow face: and . yellowface budgies, the mask feathers are all yellow. The yellow may also show up in the peripheral tail feathers. The yellow is confined to these areas only and the budgie is normally colored in the body feathers. yellowface budgies have yellow in the mask feathers and tail, . However, after the first molt at 3 months of age, the yellow diffuses into the body color and creates a new color, depending on the original color. In the case of the sky blue variety, yellowface creates a seafoam green color, but yellowface the body color remains sky blue.
Jennah, when you copy someone else's text, you should cite the source. Here it is: http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#yellowface

With that said, your post was very educational. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think he is an olive green normal. It is usual for the colours to darken after the first moult. I expect the blueish colour on the lower body is the reason that yellow face was cited but this is common on dark green and olive chicks. Olive is a green with 2 dark factors, dark green has only 1 dark factor

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe it's my sorry camera phone. I will try and get much clearer photos. Anything specific you want to see?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.