Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my birds last January and Happy had already lost their baby bars when I brought them home. The vet pegged Honey at 6 months to a year old in March.

So shouldn't they have an iris by now, being over a year old? Both still have dark eyes and show no signs of developing an iris. Their eyes seem smaller than most budgies I've seen.

Honey is a yellow factor type 2 albino, and Happy is a light green gray wing. Any guesses as to what is going on?

·
Member of the Month July 2008
8,357 Posts
Some birds don't develop visible iris rings ever.
In other birds, they are not easily visible. Sometimes you can see the rings when the light shines right on their eyes.

Either way, it is nothing to worry about....:)

Sigrid

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
I don't know if the albino will get iris rings. I'm thinking the greywing will; Penske is an olive green cinnamon greywing and he has iris rings. One way that you might be able to see them easier is to turn off the lights for awhile and then turn them on and look at the bird's eyes. The iris rings should be more visible. But in any event, whether he has the iris rings or not is not of any concern; just a reflection of the mutation. If he doesn't have iris rings it doesn't indicate any illness or such. :)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I don't know if the albino will get iris rings. I'm thinking the greywing will; Penske is an olive green cinnamon greywing and he has iris rings. One way that you might be able to see them easier is to turn off the lights for awhile and then turn them on and look at the bird's eyes. The iris rings should be more visible. But in any event, whether he has the iris rings or not is not of any concern; just a reflection of the mutation. If he doesn't have iris rings it doesn't indicate any illness or such. :)
Albinos do get iris rings. Mine has very noticeable and white iris rings. And I agree with the others.. nothing to worry about :p

They are so confusing though.. my ZuZu has had white iris rings since I got him and he still had his baby bars! and Kenji who is about 6 months old hasn't developed any.. they should be grey by now :S

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.