Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Member of the Month July 2014
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So early this morning I was watching tv and I kept hearing something hit my kitchen window..I go and look and its a beautiful male cardinal so I thought it was after the red cactus in my window, well he came back twice and did the same thing,I shooed him away so he wouldn't hurt himself..but now like 5 minutes ago,it came back and started throwing itself repeatedly into my big Windows above my tv they are high,but he just kept hitting the window hard...I've never seen a bird come back and continually hit the Windows,(what scares me is that the superstitious fact is that I've always heard this is a sign of death :(), and I'm scared he is going to kill himself...could there be something wrong with him?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
That sure is odd, I never had a wild bird to continuously hit a window like that.
He must really be disoriented...:(

·
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know I watched him fly away so he flies fine, but I'm telling you he kept repeatly smashing himself into the window :(

·
Registered
437 Posts
he sees his reflection and is attacking it. i have 1 here that sees himself in the side mirror of the car and he is always attacking it....keetman

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,550 Posts
I agree, I have feeders about 1 1/2 feet from my living room windows, hanging from the eaves. I often get birds flying at the windows and trying to attack their refelection.

·
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have curtains or blind up that far...and he was just back but now he is just pecking at my kitchen window??? And he saw me and went over the porch railing and looks like he is b breathing hard..I think there is something wrong with him..

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes, as others have said he is attacking his reflection. Cardinals are extremely territorial and have been known to kill themselves by flying at their own reflections. You could try putting something on the outside of the window to break up the refection.

·
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a temporary measure would wetting the outside of the windows break up the reflection, maybe use a hosepipe :S
I already went out and put something in front of the kitchen window, and that's a good idea I'll go out and spray the window..and maybe if I put my little dog on the porch for a bit he may stay away...he hasn't been back since he pecked the kitchen window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.