Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:cool:what kind of budgie is the second one on the right? And what would be a good name for it? what would be the out comes if she was a female and I breed her with a male colbalt pied

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It looks like a olive green or a green with a slate factor. I would have to know what type of pied the male was to determine what the babies would look like. A photo would be great.

The spangle is dominant. So if this bird was paired with a dominant pied about half of the chicks would be spangle. I think all would be spangle if she was paired with a recessive pied, unless the she was carrying recessive pied. Green in all shades is dominant over blue. So you would only get blue chicks if the green spangle bird was carrying blue.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Looks like a violet grey green to me to get such a dark color. Olive is such a rare color, the tail feathers on olive are dark blue not black like on grey greens. This bird has GREAT spangle markings on the wings. I hope the necklace spots come in as good bulls eyes too. This is what all spangle breeders need to strive for in their breeding programs. WAY to many poorly marked spangles on the marke now days mostly due to putting opaline into this mutation.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The bird with it's back to the camera is an olive spangle. An olive is a green with 2 dark factors. It looks male so the outcome of pairing it to your pied male is probably irrelevant but - - - - -

The outcome of mating an olive spangle to cobalt pied would depend on what type of pied you have. If the pied was recessive and the spangle was not split for recessive pied or blue you would get about 25% dark green normal, 25% dark green spangle, 25% olive normal & 25% olive spangle. If the olive spangle was split for blue you'd get cobalt & mauve normals & spangles as well.

If the pied type was dominant you'd get spangles, pieds, spangle pieds and normals in the same colours as above

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.