Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My male budgie Bubu is about 3 years old now, and his cere has always remained purple instead of turning metallic blue. I was wondering what kind of a budgie is he? I know that recessive pieds can stay purple but Bubu is a dominant pied isnt he? Why is his cere purple? :D

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
In your avatar it does appear that BuBu is a sky blue dominant pied, so you're right about the mutation.
As for the cere, i have no clue, i'd like to know as well :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
He has iris rings so he isn't recessive pied,I have no idea why his cere would not be blue but he does look like a dominant,maybe he is combination pied?He is very lovely whatever he is:)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I think he's a sky blue dominant pied due to clear band across lower belly, clear spot on back of head, clear wing feathers, and irises. See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dominantpied.

However, I can't explain the light blue cere; I thought male dom pieds had dark blue ceres.

Are you sure he's male?

BTW, that's a cute picture of BuBu mating with your hand! :D

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he's a sky blue dominant pied due to clear band across lower belly, clear spot on back of head, clear wing feathers, and irises. See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#dominantpied.

However, I can't explain the light blue cere; I thought male dom pieds had dark blue ceres.

Are you sure he's male?

BTW, that's a cute picture of BuBu mating with your hand! :D
LOL Susan! Actually he was trying to mate my bf's hand in that picture...:p and the "are you sure he's a male" is the exact quesiton Dr. Nemetz asked me when I brought BuBu in one time when i thought they were sick....but I told Dr. Nemetz well he likes to "play with our hands" and he's like "so?" and I said well "umm ya white stuff comes out!" then he said "ohh..." hahaha..

..He also does display everything single characteristic/trait a male budgie does.... and much more...! So yes I am 100% absolutely sure that BuBu is a male budgie! Well its so funny that we all cant figure out why his cere is still purple instead of bright metallic blue? Maybe I have a rare budgie that is confused between 2 mutations?! hahah.. any other thoughts on BuBu?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is a sky blue dominant pied. Occasionally a male of any mutation will not develop a blue cere. None of us are perfect

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
My one-year-old brothers, Ben and Jerry, are cobalt YF1 normals. Ben has a dark blue cere, but Jerry -- who has a pied spot indicating he's split for recessive pied -- has a purply blue cere. Perhaps your BuBu is combination dominant and recessive pied or he's dominant pied split for recessive pied.

Let's wait for the experts (Dean, Nev, etc.) to weigh in. :D

Oops -- Nev weighed in a couple minutes ago.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone! well i think BuBu is a perfect mutation! his purple cere is what distinguishes him and makes him so unique! hehehe :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.