Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in a little bit of a debate with a few people about Lucky's mutation, so I decided to just toss it up on here for your thoughts.

She looks dominant pied because:
- She has some sky blue right under her chin, that makes it look like she has the clear belly band.
- She has a cut-out of clear feathers in the back of her head, that look like the thumbprint. (However, the cut-out does kind of blend into her back, so I'm not sure if that matters.)

She looks recessive pied because:
- Orange beak, pink feet.
- Her flights aren't clear.
- She has clear patches on her back. (But, not as many as recessive pieds normally have.)

I don't know her age but, I'm assuming she's too young to show iris rings. It's something I'll watch for. And I know nothing about her parents.

Okay, picture time.

Highlighting what looks like it could be the dom pied belly band and thumbprint. (Note the very thin layer of sky blue under her chin.)

Views of her back, sorry for the bars in the way but she's pretty much a frozen statue while she settles in:

A closer up of her flights... it does look in the pictures like there might be two clear flights sticking out. But in-person when I squint at it, it doesn't look like layers of feathers... it just looks like the design on those two feathers has an edge left white. Like a stamp that has the design aligned wrong, kind of. If that makes any sense.

Let me know if you have any questions, or need more pictures of anything. :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I vote dominant! But I'm not an expert at this, and you should listen more to the other people. Just my opinion.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
How old is she>?

Dominants and DF Dominants get Iris rings whereas Recessive don't, there are also combination pieds but I don't see those very often.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been going off the assumption that she's too young to show iris rings. Can't know the age for sure with a pet store bird but, it's something I'll watch for.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I would say that she is probably a mix of dominant and recessive pied. I have seen a couple mix pied birds that have markings and coloring much like your bird. But she also maybe a heavily marked recessive pied. Do you know anything about her parents?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say that she is probably a mix of dominant and recessive pied. I have seen a couple mix pied birds that have markings and coloring much like your bird. But she also maybe a heavily marked recessive pied. Do you know anything about her parents?
Thanks! And nope I don't, she's from a pet store.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I'll agree she's either heavily marked recessive pied sky blue or combined recessive pied-dominant pied sky blue. I'm leaning towards the latter.

The recessive pied component has lightened the black feathers a bit. That's why I don't think she's full dominant pied or df dominant pied.

She's pretty! :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
She is a recessive pied

Recessive pieds have random markings so the clear areas are different on individual birds

All pied types have a clear area on the back of the head. It is usually less noticeable on recessive pieds because of the other clear areas

A dominant pied would have clear flight feathers even if the bird also was showing other mutations at the same time

·
Member of the Month September 2011
7,747 Posts
Awwww you have such a cutie. I agree that she is a recessive pied. I have a bird like her that is Recessive and she looks exactly the same :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.