Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are their tail feathers black or gray or blue? What should their cheek patches be; gray as well?
I'm sure I've read what makes a true gray budgie but I can't find it now.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Are their tail feathers black or gray or blue? What should their cheek patches be; gray as well?
I'm sure I've read what makes a true gray budgie but I can't find it now.
A True Gray budgie has a Single or Double Gray factor as far as I know.

The characteristics are black tail feathers, grey or violet cheek patches and gray body feathers.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Here is Roku. He is no longer in my flock but I bred him from a grey-green **** and an albino hen. His patches are grey and his tail is black.

He has a grey-green brother.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is it very rare to have an American Budgie who is gray? I've read that it's more common in English Budgies just wondering if it's true and if I should give up my hopes of ever having a true gray American Budgie.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
is it very rare to have an American Budgie who is gray? I've read that it's more common in English Budgies just wondering if it's true and if I should give up my hopes of ever having a true gray American Budgie.
They are quite common most places, I have never heard of a grey budgie being rare personally :) Where have you been looking? Most breeders have them, it might be harder to find them at chain petstores since the places they get them from dont usually breed for mutations :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Lindsey, I just saw your post. I have been looking in the usual chain stores but went to one mom & pop bird store who breed their own budgies so I asked them and they told me that gray American's a rare. I did just make contact with a small hobby breeder who breeds gray's. I also just posted a thread asking what questions I should ask the breeder. S/he told me what the parents are so that's probably all I need to know? I don't want to get a gray one and have it change/lose the gray when it molts.

·
19,551 Posts
Sorry Lindsey, I just saw your post. I have been looking in the usual chain stores but went to one mom & pop bird store who breed their own budgies so I asked them and they told me that gray American's a rare. I did just make contact with a small hobby breeder who breeds gray's. I also just posted a thread asking what questions I should ask the breeder. S/he told me what the parents are so that's probably all I need to know? I don't want to get a gray one and have it change/lose the gray when it molts.
Petstores are never a reliable guide in what is rare and what is not ;)

While greys are probably not as common as blues and greens, they are still not rare here in the U.S if you look for a breeder :) Grey is a dominant gene, so if one or both of the parents are grey the chicks will be grey too :)

What do you mean about loosing grey color? I am not sure what you mean by a "real" grey and not a real one. A budgie is a grey or it is not from the time its feathers start coming in to adulthood :) There are a few mutations that can change the appearance of the grey like yellowface or golden face making it look more greenish, is that what you mean? :) If so just do not get a yellowface baby and you will be fine :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, yes, that is exactly what I mean. The babies appear to have blue cheeks and black tail feathers and a white face. so I think I should be good. the breeder said this about the parents...
"They are split to albino if they are male, so they will have albino offspring. Also, their parents sometimes have opaline offspring, which is sex-linked, so since these guys are not opaline there is a good chance they are male."

I've seen a couple pix posted here and there that show a baby with a little more gray then when it molts they aren't so grey anymore.

·
19,551 Posts
lol, yes, that is exactly what I mean. The babies appear to have blue cheeks and black tail feathers and a white face. so I think I should be good. the breeder said this about the parents...
"They are split to albino if they are male, so they will have albino offspring. Also, their parents sometimes have opaline offspring, which is sex-linked, so since these guys are not opaline there is a good chance they are male."

I've seen a couple pix posted here and there that show a baby with a little more gray then when it molts they aren't so grey anymore.
If the mom is albino then yes all of the males would be split for ino :)

However if she is ino, there is a chance that she could be masking opaline if they do not know her backround in which case there would me male and female normals, and male and female opalines if the dad is just split for opaline :)

They do not sound very sure about how the gene works or what the parents are if they can not tell you 100% what the chicks should be. I would go more off of the ceres of the chicks than their mutations personally unless you know for sure what the parents are :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just sent them an e-mail asking what the parents are. The whole genetics thing confuses the daylights out of me, maybe some day I will be able to understand it.
They asked if I planned on breeding them so I think the statement saying "they are split to albino if they are male" was referring to the babies. I guess meaning one of the parents is albino???? Like I said, genetics confuses me!!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh, wait...albINO. duh!

this is what she said the parents are: "The father is light blue, split to opaline, the mother is albino and grey (not visually grey because albino trumps it)"

so the baby should remain (visually) gray?
I'm really sorry for the stupid questions! I really need to try to wrap my head around the genetics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.