1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
Do you have a picture from the back? I would need to see that to be certain of the mutation, but from the front it looks like a Yellow Face type 2 Sky Blue Clearflight Pied. When they have the Pied print on the head it means they are of a pied Mutation :)

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
I'll post the picture for you since you need to have 10+ posts to post a picture :)

He is adorable :) hopefully someone will come by and help you since i have no idea on any mutations :eek:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Based on what i can see, it looks like a double factor YF2 sky blue opaline clearwing. I.e. A rainbow budgie.

It would really help to look at it from the back as well, to determine any striping or marking mutations. Its definately double factor YF2 sky blue. Gorgeous little thing :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
He is such a cutie! AWWW! I know nothing about mutaions though but this is a good idea I think I may post a similar thread

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It could be a rainbow. The mutations we can see are type 2 yellow face and opaline if it is also clearwing then it is a rainbow. The spot on the back of it's head could mean that it is split for recessive pied or it could be that it is a clearflight pied (which is a different mutation from clearwing). Looking forward to seeing a picture of it's back

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will get that photo to you tonight. Can anyone tell me if it is a male or female? Its cere looks really blue in the photo but it has turnd more white, I think it's a girl. What do you meen by rainbow coloration? If i wanted to have babies that looked like this bird what color would I have to mate it with?

·
Budgie servant
941 Posts
What a sweet baby! Gorgeous colour. Rachelle, when you say "of a pied mutation" do you mean he has a pied parent? My cobalt blue boy has the white mark on the back of his head, but no other pied markings. Does this mean he had a pied parent and/or carries a gene for pied? Thanks.

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
I will get that photo to you tonight. Can anyone tell me if it is a male or female? Its cere looks really blue in the photo but it has turnd more white, I think it's a girl. What do you meen by rainbow coloration? If i wanted to have babies that looked like this bird what color would I have to mate it with?
Rainbow colouration is the name given to a certain mutation. It is not like rainbow as it red orange green and the colours of the rainbow. Rainbow budgies are yellowface 2 blue opaline (not sure, i think spangled) clearwing. here is a picture of a rainbow budgie:

kind of looks like yours:)

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
What a sweet baby! Gorgeous colour. Rachelle, when you say "of a pied mutation" do you mean he has a pied parent? My cobalt blue boy has the white mark on the back of his head, but no other pied markings. Does this mean he had a pied parent and/or carries a gene for pied? Thanks.
WHen she says "of a pied mutation" she means either dominant or recessive pied:)

·
~Crazy Bird Lady~
2,309 Posts
Sorry to answer this so late :eek: If your budgie has the pied spot on his head, but no other pied markings then it is split for recessive pied. Which means it carries the recessive pied gene so either one or both of it's parents had to have the recessive pied gene as well.

·
Budgie servant
941 Posts
Thank you Rachelle. Genetics of colour in budgies is so interesting (but confusing). I'm glad to know what my boy's white mark means. I appreciate your help.:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.