Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Bella since last year June, and she was around three months old then, which means that she's around ten months old by now. In December, her cere changed from being light pink, to a brown color. But she has no iris's, and Edward has had iris's since he was around five months old, and Angel also developed iris's at that age. Is it possible that she's just a late bloomer, or is she going to be a dark eyed?

I'm very certain about her being a clearwing, since her flight feathers are completely one color but in some photos there's some brown spots on the feathers because one of her blood feathers broke.

Here are some pictures:

(dont mind Henry in this photo :p)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! :) Is yellow not a term in birds?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
not really unless its talking about a yellow face

With budgies you have 2 series of colors Blue and Green,when you get pieds in green series their "base" color is yellow and in blues it's white

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Eh, I'm gonna have to go with YF2 Sky blue Recessive Pied. The green color looks more seafoam then light green to me.
Im with you on this one Rachelle. YF2 Sky blue recessive pied. She will never develop irises because she is recessive pied. Her yellow colouration is too dilute to be a green, and the green colour is not grass green its seafoam green.

The wings of a YF2 pied budgie can look suspiciously like clearflight, but im 90% sure she is not clearflight, only recessive pied.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, I think she is a skyblue as well, it's not green, its more turqoisey.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I agree the she is a type 2 yellow face sky blue recessive pied but I think that she is dominant pied as well. In addition to the sea foam blue, the yellow on her face area is brighter than the other yellow on her body and if she was a light green the yellow would all be the same shade. If she was clearflight as well as recessive pied she would be a completely yellow dark eyed clear. Since her flight feathers appear to be completely clear of marks I think that her other mutation is dominant pied. Pieds that are a combination of more than one type are a lot more common than most of us realize. Except for the lack of iris rings I'd have said that she was a double factor dominant pied

When a bird like this is described as sky blue it is because that is the base colour, even though there is very little of it showing and what there is has been turned a sea foam green by the yellow

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I agree the she is a type 2 yellow face sky blue recessive pied but I think that she is dominant pied as well. In addition to the sea foam blue, the yellow on her face area is brighter than the other yellow on her body and if she was a light green the yellow would all be the same shade. If she was clearflight as well as recessive pied she would be a completely yellow dark eyed clear. Since her flight feathers appear to be completely clear of marks I think that her other mutation is dominant pied. Pieds that are a combination of more than one type are a lot more common than most of us realize. Except for the lack of iris rings I'd have said that she was a double factor dominant pied

When a bird like this is described as sky blue it is because that is the base colour, even though there is very little of it showing and what there is has been turned a sea foam green by the yellow
Oh nev. You always catch those obscure genetic truth's i havent yet completely memorized lol. Recessive pied + clearflight pied = dark eyed clear. I knew it wasnt a clearflight, but i had forgotten what happens when both are present TOGETHER. Same goes for one of your clutches where i posted about greywing+clearwing, forgetting that combining the two gives you a full body clearwing lol. I accept you are the master still, but i am catching up!! Love love love genetics.

Good call on the dominant pied though. Always hard to tell with recessive pieds as the markings are so random. It would be interesting to breed her to a normal and see...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh my... I'm not good with mutations at all but I think I understood most of your post. :p I have two other budgies (white with grey pied markings everywhere, with white head but a bit of bar lines on the back and clear wings), and a normal violet/cobalt budgie. Bella is really close to the violet budgie, and I'm pretty sure that he's what you mean by "normal".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.