Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what they think the mutation of my budgie is?? I know he is a pied just not sure about anything else.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm not sure, but I think it's a Sky Blue Dominant Pied, and/or a Clearflight Pied.(could be a Recessive Pied because there are no iris rings, but then again. he is obviously young)..also, he may be a she..though I could tell for sure if you had a picture which you didn't use the flash?
That's my opinion..I really don't know exactly what kind of pied..wait for the experts to come on.
By the way, whatever mutation, he/she is a gorgeous bird. :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I think that it is a female combination of dominant pied and recessive pied. To breed a bird like this you would mate a dominant pied to a recessive pied to produce a dominant pied that is split for recessive pied, then mate the split bird to another recessive pied (or another split).

A combination of dominant pied and clearflight pied would look very similar but it would develop iris rings

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You. I am starting to question if he is a she but they told me it was a he. When you look at his/her cere it is a bluish/purple color.

My camera is not real good without the flash but I will try to get a better pick of him/her. I fell in love with him as soon as I seen him though.

·
BuDgIe **ChArMeR**
2,199 Posts
sky blue recessive pied? lol... just taking a guess..:D
btw he is beautiful..:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You. This is my first Budgie so I am still learning lots of things. Can someone tell me what the difference between a dominant and recessive pied is though.

Here are a few close up pics without the flash, I hope you can tell by these. Thanks again

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Thank You. This is my first Budgie so I am still learning lots of things. Can someone tell me what the difference between a dominant and recessive pied is though.

Here are a few close up pics without the flash, I hope you can tell by these. Thanks again

Its a male skyblue (or cobalt blue, he looks cobalt in these pictures) dominant pied from what I can see (no white on the cere)

the difference between dominant and recessive pied is that dominant has iris rings and has bands on the chest. recessive pied has no iris rings and the chest is mottled rather than banded and most of the color is towards the tail rather than higher up on the chest :D I think anyway... im almost certain but not %100

·
Registered
41 Posts
WOWWEEE. He is very very easy on the eyes.

Must be a charm to keep. All I know is, he is ONE heck of a pretty bird.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You guys so much. I really wanted a boy. I just got him on Friday and we have come such a long way since then. He wouldnt even let me put my hand in his cage when I first brought him home, now he will sit on mine and my 4 year olds shoulder without any problem.

I just wish he would get a little more playful (his toys) and start making some sounds. He only makes any noise if he hears another bird or music.

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
he is definatly sky blue dominant pied. though he doesn't have any iris rings, he is still very young, and dominant pieds irises lighten with maturity, whereas recessive pieds stay kind of a darkish colour. as you can see from his face he still has baby bars :love: and so he is still very young:D. very cute budgie though!!

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
It usually takes them few days to start playing around and all that sometimes even months, it all depends on their peronality. But if i were you, i'de be happy that he would rather stick to me than to his toys. It seems like he really trusts you :) Great job on bonding with him :)
The colours are gorgeous and i absolutely love the baby bars.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ya I would say he prefers me or my son over his toys. I thought I was going to have a real hard time with him because the first day I brought him home all he did was bite me. He will chirp when he hears other birds but that's it.

Does anyone know why he just has the bars and the little blue spot on one side of his face and not the other??

·
Registered
458 Posts
ya I would say he prefers me or my son over his toys. I thought I was going to have a real hard time with him because the first day I brought him home all he did was bite me. He will chirp when he hears other birds but that's it.

Does anyone know why he just has the bars and the little blue spot on one side of his face and not the other??
Because he is pied he has random patches of white on him..and they happened to be on that side of his face..I think that's why. After he moults though, he may get some markings there...I've had that happen to some of my birds before, they show up markings they didn't have before, after they moult for the first time. (at 3-4 months old)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
he's only about 3 1/2 months old he won't get iris rings that are noticeable to the naked eye until he's about 6 months old or so

if his cere turns blue by the time he's a year old then he's dominate pied, IF it stays the color it is right now he's recessive pied

but he looks to be Dominate pied to me as well.

the dominate pieds can have thier "clear" band in a array of different sizes from Barely any at all to very big and everything in between

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.