Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know much about colour mutations and genetics - but if there's a name for the colour that Sir Higgins is I'd love to know! :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i know he's an english budgie :) Thank you for clearing me up on the colour!

He's got splayed legs, and something happened to his toes while he was still in the nest. He's missing some of them, and others are deformed. To me it seems like his parents could have bitten them off in the nest but i've also heard that english budgies are not the greatest parents and that they can have trouble with their feet because they get dirty and need to be cleaned alot, and if a breeder doesn't do it enough problems can arise.

He has trouble climbing around, but as he gets more confidence being in this new home he's getting better :D

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
his toes would of just been nipped off by parents or siblings while in the box :)
show birds are no different parent wise and all chicks need feet and beaks cleaned dialy
i'm glad his splay isn't to bad!
i won't comment on his colour- no idea :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
his toes would of just been nipped off by parents or siblings while in the box :)
show birds are no different parent wise and all chicks need feet and beaks cleaned dialy
i'm glad his splay isn't to bad!
i won't comment on his colour- no idea :D
Thats what i thought the first time i saw him - but when i asked the person at the pet store told me it was from not being cleaned, and he *was* an english budgie breeder (he offered me one of his babies instead of Higgins because they're feet would be okay:mad:). thank you for clearing that up for me, i thought it sounded a little of :)

Oh how sad. It's a good thing he has you!
His feet are actually what drew me to him :) I love taking care of birds, and i do not care at all if their feet look a little weird :) everyone thinks i am crazy for getting him when i could have gotten a handraised baby with perfect feet. But i love Higgins already and he will definitely be spoiled like crazy here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I second Grey Green normal. His cheek patches appear silver, like a Grey-green, where they would be dark blue for an Olive. :D

·
Member of the Month
16,198 Posts
Thats what i thought the first time i saw him - but when i asked the person at the pet store told me it was from not being cleaned, and he *was* an english budgie breeder (he offered me one of his babies instead of Higgins because they're feet would be okay:mad:). thank you for clearing that up for me, i thought it sounded a little of :)
when the feet aren't cleaned they turn into more of a mash then missing toes. the cause of this was more likely an overcrowded nestbox and nippy room mates :D
but it sure deosn't look to be bothering him :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The colour of his cheek patches show that he is a grey green and not an olive. An olive would have purple cheek patches. His feet look like a deformity that he was born with, splayed legs would not cause the toes to look like they do. He is a beautiful bird but he should never be used for breeding in case the condition is passed on

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The colour of his cheek patches show that he is a grey green and not an olive. An olive would have purple cheek patches. His feet look like a deformity that he was born with, splayed legs would not cause the toes to look like they do. He is a beautiful bird but he should never be used for breeding in case the condition is passed on
I know that splayed legs doesn't do that to his feet - but he has splayed legs *and* deformed feet, but i am fairly sure that they were bitten off when he was in the nest.

I have * absolutely* NO intention of breeding my birds ever, also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.