Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I was told Kyra was a Recessive Pied. She's now gone through her first moult, and developed iris rings..they are very easy to see..her parents are a Mauve Normal/Rec Pied and a Violet Spangle Opaline Clearflight Pied (maybe split for Recessive, not sure now) All I know for sure is that she is a Mauve/Violet..I'm thinking she's a Clearflight Pied?
Here are some pics: (I can't get any good pics of her iris rings by the way, sorry my camera isn't very good.:))

Please reply soon. Thanks.

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I am not even remotely well versed in this but I have a clearflight so I would agree with clearflight. Beautiful bird too. All of them are :)

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not good with mutations. I'll leave that for a more experienced member :p

But I just wanted to comment on how beautiful your flock is! Stunning! :D
:budge:

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
She is very beautiful and I'm sure I could find a space for her in my aviary

I would say that she must be clearflight pied, she's definately not recessive pied and doesn't look like dominant pied. She could be a combination of clearflight pied and dominant pied. If her mother is opaline and spangle as well as pied, the pied type could be hard to tell. Another possibility is that she could be a combination of dominant pied and recessive pied but it's not likely if she has iris rings. I'd like to see a good picture of her parents and siblings

·
(retired budgie breeder)
3,772 Posts

I would say that she must be clearflight pied, she's definately not recessive pied and doesn't look like dominant pied. She could be a combination of clearflight pied and dominant pied. If her mother is opaline and spangle as well as pied, the pied type could be hard to tell. Another possibility is that she could be a combination of dominant pied and recessive pied but it's not likely if she has iris rings. I'd like to see a good picture of her parents and siblings
Nev... can u get an opaline clearflight dom pied?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Okay thanks. I don't think she is Dominant Pied as neither her father or mother are..Here's some pics of her parents, and her half brother (also a Clearflight Pied, from a different father..Kyra's actual clutch mate didn't survive sadly)
Her mother:

Her father, also the bird sitting next to her in one of the photos in my first post:

And her brother: (when he was a lot younger, he has the same markings now, just more cheek patches and a brighter violet colour)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The clearflight pied is known to have a wide variation in the clear areas. It is a dominant gene so for a bird to be a clearflight pied one of it's parents must also be a clearflight pied. The half brother is a clearflight pied so unless the clearflight came from his father it has come from the mother. The mother appears to be both spangle and clearflight pied, she has only got clear tail feathers and some frosting on her chest. The only mutation that would account for this is clearflight pied. So it looks like Kyra must be a clearflight also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.