Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going Bird-Crazy
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for clarification I have changed Sky's name to Lumi (loo-mee, I will make a thread about it later ). Anyways, since I got Lumi he has always had striping down to even his lower cheek feathers and it goes a little down his chest. What I mean is on the end if each feather in those areas there is a straight, not curved, little stripe. It isn't a stripe like those on his wings, but like his stripes in his head. It puzzle me. It's on all his mask feathers. Mostly visible on his cheeks and forehead. You have to get up close to him to see them. It defiantly isn't faint, but not as bold either. When I get home I will try and take a pic. Can he have some black-face in him? His baby bars are going away and his irises are getting more clear. They are slowly becoming visible. These arent baby stripes that I am talking about. :S

Oh, here's a good pic of his cheek feathers, from march. I found it on my snapfish album! He still has them, but has lost a lot of his baby bars. I will try and take a pic of his chest later.

EDIT: Oops, sorry! I know Lumi isn't a opaline...here's a good back pic!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Few budgies do grow black-tipped new 1st adult feathers feathers in mask and forehead, and I had seen a photo of a juvenile wild budgie had no cheek patches, at nest on hole in tree.

One of my budgie...opaline skyblue had all black eyes at 5 month old, most budgies at 5 month old have white eye iris.

After post 1st adult moult at around 1st birthday, the 2nd adult plumages will be 100% adult, with clean forehead and mask, free of black tips.

Post juvenile moult of budgies, are not complete in wing feathers and tail feathers, but 100% complete in 1st adult body feathers, my 5 month old budgie still have growing head feathers.
My 6 month old grey normal male budgie had non-moulting new 1st adult body plumage and new 3/4 grown outermost primaries 10th and inner primaries 3rd and new terteries, and 5 new tail feathers. He is married to his new wife who is seaval month older than him and his wife is planning to raise a family of baby budgie and in nest box. His wife is cobalt normal spangle. Grey normal male budgie's primary 10th is 2 weeks short of reach full length.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Can you post a pic from the back, please? He looks like a sky blue opaline, but he has some white in his cheek patches, it seems, which could suggest pied of some sort.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My recessive pied has the same faint striping on the fore-crown and under his beak. I was told here that RPs have those markings as adult birds.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
He looks like a cute little sky blue recessive pied to me :) As was mentioned, many of them have the barring you are talking about their whole life :)

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Definitely not an opaline. I don't know what I was seeing to say that. Thanks for posting the other photo. It's very helpful. I thought those cheek patches look like a pies bird. And I agree with Lindsey on the recessive pied. So cute!!!

·
Going Bird-Crazy
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woah! So I have two recessive pies?:eek: That's funny because Mango (the other recessive) and Lumi are mates! And I plan to breed them when Lumi becomes old enough. Although Mango is a opaline. Thanks! What is the faint striping called? I mean the ones bellow the beak. Also, Mango is a recessive pied but she has no such striping.:S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.