Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty sure that my budgie, Canopy, was a grey green single factor clearflight pied, but as more of his flight feathers grew in, I noticed he only has clear flight feathers on one side, while the feathers on his other side are completely normal. Does this happen often for clearflight pieds, or does Canopy have some other mutation? Also, is it possible for him to be split for recessive pied? Are there any noticeable signs that a bird could be split for r. pied? I haven't noticed any iris rings yet, but that could be because he's still young. :S

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmmm, I really don't know the answer to this, but he is a cutie. Is it possible he's just a recessive pied that's heavily marked? I don't know. :/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does he have iris rings? And how old is he?
Well I can't see any iris rings on him, whereas I can see some very faint ones on some of my other budgies. He was maybe around 4 months old when I bought him on July 20th, so he should be almost around 10 months old now. :budgie:
I've included some pictures of Canopy from the front, he has very light blue cheek patches. Does that mean anything?

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
His cheek patches are light in conjunction with the grey factor. His patterns and pink cere and apparent lack of iris rings make me think he is a very heavily marked recessive pied. I suppose he could be a combination pied, but I'm rubbish at determining those.

Lindsey.....where are you?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello....I would say it is a miss marked clear flight pied.I don't see any really tell tale marks showing it is split for rec pied although yes it can be.It dose have a couple of flecks at the shoulder and a break in the patch but that can happen. It is possible for him to be split for recessive pied and when mature and in breeding condition the cere may be blue on one side and the color of rec pied on the other if it is...a sure sign of the split..This is still a young bird so time will tell.Miss marked flights will happen it's fine for pet.. but not for show or breeding show stock.The cheek patches from the pic look more grey than blue to me and I would say it is normal for a grey green.

Regards Jerry

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello....I would say it is a miss marked clear flight pied.I don't see any really tell tale marks showing it is split for rec pied although yes it can be.It dose have a couple of flecks at the shoulder and a break in the patch but that can happen. It is possible for him to be split for recessive pied and when mature and in breeding condition the cere may be blue on one side and the color of rec pied on the other if it is...a sure sign of the split..This is still a young bird so time will tell.Miss marked flights will happen it's fine for pet.. but not for show or breeding show stock.The cheek patches from the pic look more grey than blue to me and I would say it is normal for a grey green.

Regards Jerry
Good point. What are the tell tale marks of a budgie split for recessive pied? :S

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Having no iris rings and a pink cere at his age are signs that he could be a heavily marked rec pied, not just split for it. My split rec pied bird has no iris rings but a normal blue cere.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hello Sophie..... What are the tell tale marks of a budgie split for recessive pied?

.... flecks at the shoulder area.... cere may be blue on one side and pink on the other(aged bird)....some slight blotching on the chest or lower stomach(I see none)Bird dosen't look ten months to me as he still dose not have full grown spots.Is it possible he was younger when you got him?On another note all my normals split for rec pied have eye rings..

Jerry

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Sophie..... What are the tell tale marks of a budgie split for recessive pied?

.... flecks at the shoulder area.... cere may be blue on one side and pink on the other(aged bird)....some slight blotching on the chest or lower stomach(I see none)Bird dosen't look ten months to me as he still dose not have full grown spots.Is it possible he was younger when you got him?On another note all my normals split for rec pied have eye rings..

Jerry
Okay, good to know! I suppose it's possible that he was younger than 4 months old when I bought him, so I guess only time will tell. He's bonded to a recessive pied female so if they breed and the chicks are r. pied or dark-eyed clears, then I guess I'll have my answer. :p

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
What an interesting little guy! :)

He could easily be either one... although I lean toward him being a recessive pied given his pied markings which are usually less on the head and neck in a clearflight, the cere which would normally be blue or mottled in a clearflight, the beak which is usually horn colored in a clearflight and feet color which are typically mixed pink and blue or blue for a clearflight :)

Birds that are split for recessive pied can have iris rings but not all do. I have had both but most of the ones I have personally do not have noticeable iris rings. Your little one is more than just split for recessive pied though for sure given his markings, birds that are only split for recessive pied to not have as many markings as your little one has and normally only have a pied patch on the head or and very few if any splotches on the body :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What an interesting little guy! :)

He could easily be either one... although I lean toward him being a recessive pied given his pied markings which are usually less on the head and neck in a clearflight, the cere which would normally be blue or mottled in a clearflight, the beak which is usually horn colored in a clearflight and feet color which are typically mixed pink and blue or blue for a clearflight :)

Birds that are split for recessive pied can have iris rings but not all do. I have had both but most of the ones I have personally do not have noticeable iris rings. Your little one is more than just split for recessive pied though for sure given his markings, birds that are only split for recessive pied to not have as many markings as your little one has and normally only have a pied patch on the head or and very few if any splotches on the body :)
Wow! Thanks! I can't wait to find out what mutation(s) he has! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.