Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same question months and months ago but I only had some blurry photos of Ollie. I received various answers but none of them definitive since the photo quality was so poor. His coloring has since come in nicely and he came for a visit over the weekend so I was able to get some good pics!

Front View

I tried to get a picture of his back but he was too curious about the camera. This is the best shot I got of his wing.

Any ideas? I'm really just curious!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
I think he's a greywing olive but you should wait for Nev.

He might also be opaline; can you post a picture of his back?

He's cute!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm guessing greywing light green :).

Should wait for an expert though.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

He's cute!
I really really tried to get one of his back :( He was just so fascinated by the camera half of the photos I got were blurs of him flying at my face to check out the camera. I tried to sneak up on him while he was playing and sneak a picture of his back but he caught me! Unfortunately he went back to my Mom's today so I won't be able to try again anytime soon. Sorry... the side shot was as close as I could get :(

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses!

What's the difference between light green and olive? I feel like a lot of genetics questions often come up with both responses... is there just a slight difference in the shade of green?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to agree with Susan from what I can see... (I'm so excited, I'm learning, I'm learning LOL). Pretty sure Nev will know... I'm just happy because I'm starting to see mutations instead of just pretty colors! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is no dark factor in light green... I'm thinking olive is normal green with a dark factor... Don't know why but sounds right, maybe I'm just bonkers and should hush... :D

Oh and it wouldn't be a light green greywing because he looks dark and greywing dilutes color so if it was light green he would have a very washed out look...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Oh and it wouldn't be a light green greywing because he looks dark and greywing dilutes color so if it was light green he would have a very washed out look...
Good point! I'm terrible with greywing mutations! :eek: No harm in guessing though :).

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
He's not opaline - you can tell in the 2nd pic the bars on the back of the head are not that of an Opaline but a normal Non opaline

I think he's a Dark Green Grey wing

either way 100% Grey wing is one thing I know he is :p

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's not opaline - you can tell in the 2nd pic the bars on the back of the head are not that of an Opaline but a normal Non opaline

I think he's a Dark Green Grey wing

either way 100% Grey wing is one thing I know he is :p
Hey atvchick! I was hoping you would come along because you posted on my initial thread regarding Ollie's mutation http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=70515 Clearly his colors have deepened quite a bit! His cheeks patches have come in too! You were sure about the greywing part then, and sound quite sure now so I'll stick to the greywing part of it! I think he's too dark to be light green, but I'm still not sure if he's dark green or olive. I'm assuming dark is a deeper color than olive?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Hey atvchick! I was hoping you would come along because you posted on my initial thread regarding Ollie's mutation http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=70515 Clearly his colors have deepened quite a bit! His cheeks patches have come in too! You were sure about the greywing part then, and sound quite sure now so I'll stick to the greywing part of it! I think he's too dark to be light green, but I'm still not sure if he's dark green or olive. I'm assuming dark is a deeper color than olive?
No dark is lighter than Olive - Olive is the last of the Green series

Dark has 1 Dark Factor Olive has 2 Dark factors

it's easier to tell a Light, Dark or Olive in normals or anything other than Grey wing(or other Shade lighting mutations lol)

If you look here http://www.***************/c_darkfactor.html

it shows you the 3 shades of budgies - Light, Dark and Olive - in Normal budgies

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you I can definitely see from those pictures how much easier it is to distinguish the greens in normals! Can you get 1.5 dark factors? (only joking).

I think he must be dark green then because his belly isn't quite as dark as the 2 dark factor green. Here's another picture in more natural light.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is a greywing grey green.

The cheek patches are blue which shows that the bird is grey green

If it wasn't for the cheek patches I'd have said he was olive because the greywing gene lightens the shade of the body

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts

He's cute!
He is a greywing grey green.

The cheek patches are blue which shows that the bird is grey green

If it wasn't for the cheek patches I'd have said he was olive because the greywing gene lightens the shade of the body
You know the experts are here when they can determine color/mutation based on cheek patches. lol

:bowdown: Nev

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Isn't it also a full body greywing? A normal grey dilutes the body color.
It's not grey that dilutes the body colour it's the greywing gene.

This bird is lighter than a normal grey green would be

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The cheek patches are not Grey- there for the bird can't be GREY GREEN!

GREYWING GREY GREEN

General body colour: back, rump, breast, flanks and underparts grey green 50% of normal body colour depth of an even shade throughout.
Mask: buttercup yellow, ornamented by six evenly spaced large round grey throat spots, the outer two being partially covered by the base of the cheek patches. The buttercup yellow of the mask extending over the frontal and crown, to merge with the grey undulations at the back of the head. The frontal and crown should be clear and free from all markings.
Markings: on cheeks, back of head, neck and wings; grey with a well-defined buttercup yellow edge, all markings should be free from any intrusion of body colour.
Cere: blue in cocks, brown in hens.
Eyes: black with a white iris.
Cheek patches: light grey.
Primary wing flights: grey with a minimal buttercup yellow edge.
Primary tail feathers: grey.
Feet and legs: blue/grey mottled.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.