Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm trying to understand Stroms mutation. I haven't been able to wrap my mind around it. So I was wondering if you could take some time and try to make sense of her family tree. Maybe it has a clue to what color she really is. I am sure that the pairings are correct. I don't colony breed and another parent is impossible.

Here is a photo of Storm.

Storm was bred with Ozzy This is Ozzy's sister but they looked exactly the same.
(Full color grey wing light green)

This is Ozzy's parents Tweety and Lime
Tweety (Yellow clearwing light green)
Lime (Full color grey wing normal green single dark factor)

Storm and Ozzy had three chicks.

Willow
(Normal sky blue yellow face type two)

http://sitebuilder.yola.com/sites/D...8a4986cc1d4a2050011d65206c82372f/my-birds.php

Liberty
(Normal green double factor slate black tail)

Misty
(Recessive pied sky blue)

Willow was bred with Royalty. This is Royalty
(Cinnamon double factor violet)

Willow and Royalty had three chicks

Baby 1
(recessive pied sky blue yellow face type two)

Baby 2
(Opaline cobalt single factor slate or violet factor not sure)

Baby 3
(Opaline yellow face type two single factor slate or violet factor not sure)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't understand why you are saying they are slate, to me they look Mauve..But anyway.

I think Storm is a Mauve Opaline split for Recessive Pied, who you bred with a green FBG split for Clearwing, blue and Rec. Pied. (one of his parents must have been split for blue) You got:
3 chicks:
Blue YF male split for Opaline
Green female
Rec. Pied blue male split for Opaline
Ozzy must be split for (ie, masking) Yellowface, that is why some of his chicks were blue and some YF.

Then you bred Willow, the YF sky blue, (split for Opaline and Rec Pied) with a Violet Cinnamon Opaline (mauve) female. You got:
Rec. Pied blue YF
Opaline Mauve female
Opaline Mauve YF female
Does that make sense? Tell me if I've got something wrong there, was kind of confusing..

Anywho, after all that..I'd say Storm is a Mauve Opaline split for Rec. Pied. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would be the obvious answer of looking at Storm. That she was an opaline mauve but because she had a sky blue chick she can't be mauve. It is confusing and I have been talking with a few of the geneticists of talk budgie and I'm trying to figure out what color Storm really is.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I can’t see the slate mutation. Storm appears to be an opaline sky blue or cobalt with 1 grey factor and 1 violet factor

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Theres no grey in her parentage? Mauves cannot parent anything but cobalts and mauves. So if she had a sky blue, she can only be sky blue or cobalt.

Whatever storm has, baby number 3 seems to have inherited - a deep mauvey purple interlaced with patches of sky blue. So if she and the baby are sky blues, what is causing such a deep colouration? Not only that, but its a very dark colour, its not bright purple or deep purple, its a blackish blueish purple, interlaced with those flashes of sky blue.

·
3,676 Posts
Baby 3
(Opaline yellow face type two single factor slate or violet factor not sure)
Is this chick male or female?
Do you have a better photo of Royalty

I see that you are planning to breed Storm to Willow. I think that mother and son are too closely related to be bred together

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm almost positive that chick 3 was a female, but I'm not sure. I have sold chick # 3 so I can't be positive. I'm not sure what you meant my a better pic of Royalty but here is another one.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ok, I have to admit that budgie genetics leave my head spinning but one thing is quite clear: she is gorgeous!!

·
3,676 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions. I think I have worked it out.

Storm is an opaline violet grey.

The grey was not inherited by Willow & Misty but it was inherited by Liberty. Slate is a sex-linked gene so Liberty can’t have inherited slate from Storm. Even if Storm was a slate her sons would only be split for slate

Willow was then mated to Royalty who is a cinnamon opaline violet grey. Two of their 3 chicks inherited the violet & the grey from Royalty. Although these two chicks are a very similar colour to Storm the genes that produced their colour came from Royalty.

The reason I wanted to know the sex of baby 3 was because if it had been male it would have proved again that the grey mutation was not slate

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I dont really have time to follow up on nev's logic or the parentage of this or that bird lol, but if Nev has spent the time, im fairly certain he's arrived at the right conclusion.

I can add a picture of my own violet grey for reference? Its only a single factor violet grey normal, i've never seen a double factor violet grey.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thank you so much Nev for taking the time to figure out the genes of Storm. I do have a couple questions though, is grey recessive dominant or sexlinked? Can you tell the difference between slate and grey from just looking at a bird?

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
my first thought on storm was opaline cobalt with single grey factor
also Willow is opaline
if i remember correctly Grey is dominant

Slate
Slate is a color-adding factor similar to grey and violet. Slate produces a very dark bluish grey in white-based budgies. The darkness of the slate varies slightly according to the dark factor of the bird. Slate, like violet, can be present in a green (yellow-based) budgie, but only produces a darkening effect. True slate only appears on blue (white-based) budgies. This variety is extremely rare. It sex-linked on the X-chromosome
The slate variety has a very dark grey-blue body color

·
3,676 Posts
Ok thank you so much Nev for taking the time to figure out the genes of Storm. I do have a couple questions though, is grey recessive dominant or sexlinked? Can you tell the difference between slate and grey from just looking at a bird?
The common grey mutation is dominant but there was a recessive grey mutation that I think is now extinct. Slate is sex-linked. Slate is very rare but the colour is usually more bluish than a normal grey. Because your birds have violet as well as grey it makes the grey look slightly blue. Often birds with both grey and violet will look patchy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.