Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying this aprox.1 year old female I was just wondering what mutation she is.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unfortunetly last night i found out i can't get her T.T the seller wanted me to pay an extra $25 just for driving her down after i expressed i lived in winnipeg and was only interested if the bird could be brought to the city (they only live 45mins away from me, but i have no car). this is ontop of the $20 i was paying for the bird, then they wanted to make a deposit of half on paypal and trying to tell me the fees are $6 on pay pal so i'll need the extra $6 added to that. so alltogether $51 for a one year old who's not hand tamed. I had to say no. :( I'm sad because shes sooo beautiful. but i suppose they'll find her a home. just wish it could be with me.

·
Administrator
55,531 Posts
Amanda, Sorry things didn't work out for you with the little one, but the right one for you will come along in time!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
unfortunetly last night i found out i can't get her T.T the seller wanted me to pay an extra $25 just for driving her down after i expressed i lived in winnipeg and was only interested if the bird could be brought to the city (they only live 45mins away from me, but i have no car). this is ontop of the $20 i was paying for the bird, then they wanted to make a deposit of half on paypal and trying to tell me the fees are $6 on pay pal so i'll need the extra $6 added to that. so alltogether $51 for a one year old who's not hand tamed. I had to say no. :( I'm sad because shes sooo beautiful. but i suppose they'll find her a home. just wish it could be with me.
Ouch. Some people are just so greedy when it comes to money. Such a beautiful bird, too. A shame they weren't willing to work more with you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am looking at a pet store that plays with its baby budgies (it hand raises parrot chicks and such, but only plays with the budgies) they just got in a bunch of 7 week old chicks, I'll be getting paid next week sooooooo next week i think I'm goin down to get Paisleys little friend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ouch. Some people are just so greedy when it comes to money. Such a beautiful bird, too. A shame they weren't willing to work more with you.
I read this last night and decided to ignore it, but all through my morning bird chores it kept niggling at the back of my mind.

There is no greed involved here.

Raising and breeding budgies is an expensive hobby. Any money brought in from the sale of babies barely makes a dent in the costs incurred. In fact, even ignoring what it costs us breeders to do this, if you figure out what our wages would be for all of the hours we spend caring for the nests and taking care of the chicks, it would work out to just pennies per hour.

So why wouldn't it be understandable if a breeder didn't want to add an 80 minute drive, a used up afternoon, gas money and wear and tear on their car, to deliver a chick, when they could sell it to someone else that can come to their house to buy it? Charging $25 for this service is very reasonable, and I would say extremely generous. My policy is local pick up only, I just plain DON'T deliver.

(And the Pay Pal fee is just internet business, nothing to do with the breeder, it's Pay Pal policy.)

Also keep in mind, when you contact a breeder to buy a bird, they don't know you from Adam. We may get to like you, as we converse more, but at the start, we just don't know you well enough to be willing to "work with you more". (And we also get a lot of people we do try to work with, and they back out on us without even letting us know, sometimes.)

I agree, it's a beautiful budgie. But whatever one Teakany ends up getting will worm its way into her heart, and become beautiful in her eyes. I hope it all works out well with the Pet shop you have found. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts

I read this last night and decided to ignore it, but all through my morning bird chores it kept niggling at the back of my mind.

There is no greed involved here.

Raising and breeding budgies is an expensive hobby. Any money brought in from the sale of babies barely makes a dent in the costs incurred. In fact, even ignoring what it costs us breeders to do this, if you figure out what our wages would be for all of the hours we spend caring for the nests and taking care of the chicks, it would work out to just pennies per hour.

So why wouldn't it be understandable if a breeder didn't want to add an 80 minute drive, a used up afternoon, gas money and wear and tear on their car, to deliver a chick, when they could sell it to someone else that can come to their house to buy it? Charging $25 for this service is very reasonable, and I would say extremely generous. My policy is local pick up only, I just plain DON'T deliver.

(And the Pay Pal fee is just internet business, nothing to do with the breeder, it's Pay Pal policy.)

Also keep in mind, when you contact a breeder to buy a bird, they don't know you from Adam. We may get to like you, as we converse more, but at the start, we just don't know you well enough to be willing to "work with you more". (And we also get a lot of people we do try to work with, and they back out on us without even letting us know, sometimes.)

I agree, it's a beautiful budgie. But whatever one Teakany ends up getting will worm its way into her heart, and become beautiful in her eyes. I hope it all works out well with the Pet shop you have found. :)
Agree totally!

We don't deliver either We have if it was in our general area and even then we charged a gas fee. Gas isn't Free right now in my area its close to $4.00 a gallon(it may be more now that was 2 days ago) another reason I don't deliver we just don't have the time. and we don't have the extra money to put unneeded wear and tear on our vehicles its all we have! if they break down we're out of luck and I have 2 children I can't be w/out a vehicle ever! its bad enough for the last month we've been down to 1 vehicle(happens to be the one that uses the most gas) because the truck broke down

If I knew how to Add a Spread Sheet file on here I'd so do it - I keep records on my computer of every single dime spent and made for the birds, LAST year ALONE at the end of the year I was 315 bucks in the HOLE!.. Which was a whole lot better then the previous 3 years when i was a couple thousand in the hole when I first started out

we truly make nothing - it all goes back to the birds if a breeder tells you they're making a good profit off the birds they're either lying through their teeth, or they don't use the money made and put it back towards the birds. and in that case you could bet the birds are not well taken care of, The cages are no doubt too small, old, rusted, and just straight up nasty. and they may get fed 1-2 times a week

and let me tell ya $20 here $50 here - does not add up quickly.. usually by the time I have a decent amount saved up(Say $300) its almost the end of the year and That money is going to bird food and needed things - and We still always have to use money out of our own pockets to put with it to make ends meet.. BUT we don't complain because its for the birds

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the 51 would have been fine if they were specially making a trip. her husband works in the city so the extra distence to my place would have been 20 minuets. as i said, It's a 1+ (they aren't sure) bird, they bought it not bred it. they're getting rid of all of their birds. if it was a baby baby and they were specially making the drive or HECK even if they'd mentioned when i said i live in the city that delivery would cost extra, then i might have been okay with it. but $51 for a bird i can't see first, is a year or so old, not bred there, not hand tamed... i think thats a bit excessive. for $25 we can make a 3 hour trip in my moms car (she drives i don't) so $25 for a 45 min drive (half of which he has to make anyway) not to mention i know pay pal does not charge that much because i make transactions all the time with a friend in the UK.

so where i understand where breeders charging that much, I don't see them charging that much for this particular bird.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.