Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It is unbelieveable that one can see it if the bird is so young. How do you know?
The white down shows that the chick is opaline. If it was green series there would be some yellow showing on the wings at this age

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The white down shows that the chick is opaline. If it was green series there would be some yellow showing on the wings at this age
ok that confused me even more - This is a picture of recent babies(born July) they all have white down and None were Opaline There was Grey cinnamon females, a Violet Sky Blue Male split to cinnamon but none were Opaline as neither parent is Opaline

I've always been under the impression that White down just means its a blue based budgie with no dark factors - I've had some with a Whitish Grey down and they ended up being very dark colors but still blue series birds and not all of them were Opaline either

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Other mutations that have white down are inos, & recessive pieds. Greywings, cinnamons & clearwings have very light coloured down but it is not as white as the opalines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Other mutations that have white down are inos, & recessive pieds. Greywings, cinnamons & clearwings have very light coloured down but it is not as white as the opalines.
This is good to know. It explains why I've had different shades of down, and some whiter than others.:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More pics:

This Grão (the baby in the main post pic. 100% sure opaline, so congrats to the users that suggested that!)

This is Ervilha hidding the face :p (we think it is normal sky blue)

This is Baga (it i 2 or 3 days younger than the other babies!)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Thanks for explaining. I will try to remember that in future.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.